Jason is an award-winning event professional, serial entrepreneur, 2x best-selling author and a professional speaker who travels the world educating and empowering people.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- GetAbstract – Jason’s small business resource
- When I Stop Talking, You’ll Know I’m Dead – Jason’s Top Business Book
- Connect with Jason on his website and on Twitter
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses!
3 Key Points:
- Learn from people who have taken the path before you.
- Stop reacting to the situations in your life; instead, respond.
- Don’t give a man a fish; instead, teach him how to fish.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Allstate: Be more than just an agent. Be an Allstate Agency Owner and earn equity in the business you build! Visit AllstateAgent.com/eofire to learn more about owning an Allstate Agency. Subject to the terms of the agency agreements.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:05] – Jason has started several companies on his entrepreneurial journey
- [02:15] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Jason had no experience building a business and he probably shouldn’t have tried it on his own to begin with
- [02:25] – “Sometimes, ignorance is bliss”
- [02:49] – Find people who have done what you seek out to do and learn from them
- [03:02] – Listen!
- [03:38] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Jason was 27 years old and he saved for 10 years before starting his own company. His plan was simple: he would print promotional t-shirts, get pre-payments from clients, have the shirts printed, and mark-up the cost. Jason talked to the largest grocer in South Africa and pitched his idea. Fourteen days later, the T-shirts had not arrived – there was major mismanagement of logistics
- [05:34] – Jason tried to call the grocer and asked for an advance on the money, but he was reminded of a clause he didn’t read which said – “We will pay 120 days after delivery”
- [05:57] – Jason went to the worst person for advice – a loan shark
- [06:04] – He got the money, but he didn’t read the print – the APR was 48%!
- [06:22] – Jason delivered the shirts on time, but it took the loan shark 90 days to drive Jason off the business
- [06:32] – it took 24 months for Jason to believe in himself again
- [06:58] – “Respond, not react”
- [08:14] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Jason had been sending money to his 56-year old father who didn’t have very much confidence. He took his father to Thailand for 4 weeks to find out what his father could do – to start his own business
- 10:47 – Jason started the company, Lokkima, that gave his father profit, passion, and purpose
- [12:15] – Where do you spend a disproportionate amount of your money?
- [12:56] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m most excited about the connectivity that we have”
- [13:34] – “Everybody can be glocal (global/local)”
- [15:00] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Shiny ball syndrome”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Do one thing every single day that brings you closer to your dream life or the dream person you want to be”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I read every single day and I listen twice as much as I speak”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – getAbstract
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – When I Stop Talking, You’ll Know I’m Dead – “this book is all about making the impossible possible”
- 17:22 – Connect with Jason on his website and on Twitter
- [17:38] – “What you get by achieving your goals is not the thing. It’s who you become by achieving them”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!