Jason is an award-winning event professional, serial entrepreneur, 2x best-selling author and a professional speaker who travels the world educating and empowering people.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Jason shares his incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:05] – Jason has started several companies on his entrepreneurial journey
- [02:15] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Jason had no experience building a business and he probably shouldn’t have tried it on his own to begin with
- [02:25] – “Sometimes, ignorance is bliss”
- [02:49] – Find people who have done what you seek out to do and learn from them
- [03:02] – Listen!
- [03:38] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Jason was 27 years old and he saved for 10 years before starting his own company. His plan was simple: he would print promotional t-shirts, get pre-payments from clients, have the shirts printed, and mark-up the cost. Jason talked to the largest grocer in South Africa and pitched his idea. Fourteen days later, the T-shirts had not arrived – there was major mismanagement of logistics
- [05:34] – Jason tried to call the grocer and asked for an advance on the money, but he was reminded of a clause he didn’t read which said – “We will pay 120 days after delivery”
- [05:57] – Jason went to the worst person for advice – a loan shark
- [06:04] – He got the money, but he didn’t read the print – the APR was 48%!
- [06:22] – Jason delivered the shirts on time, but it took the loan shark 90 days to drive Jason off the business
- [06:32] – it took 24 months for Jason to believe in himself again
- [06:58] – “Respond, not react”
- [08:14] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Jason had been sending money to his 56-year old father who didn’t have very much confidence. He took his father to Thailand for 4 weeks to find out what his father could do – to start his own business
- 10:47 – Jason started the company, Lokkima, that gave his father profit, passion, and purpose
- [12:15] – Where do you spend a disproportionate amount of your money?
- [12:56] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m most excited about the connectivity that we have”
- [13:34] – “Everybody can be glocal (global/local)”
- [15:00] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Shiny ball syndrome”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Do one thing every single day that brings you closer to your dream life or the dream person you want to be”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I read every single day and I listen twice as much as I speak”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – getAbstract
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – When I Stop Talking, You’ll Know I’m Dead – “this book is all about making the impossible possible”
- 17:22 – Connect with Jason on his website and on Twitter
- [17:38] – “What you get by achieving your goals is not the thing. It’s who you become by achieving them”
3 Key Points:
- Learn from people who have taken the path before you.
- Stop reacting to the situations in your life; instead, respond.
- Don’t give a man a fish; instead, teach him how to fish.
- GetAbstract – Jason’s small business resource
- When I Stop Talking, You’ll Know I’m Dead – Jason’s Top Business Book
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- Connect with Jason on his website and on Twitter
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 4 FREE courses!
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Allstate: Be more than just an agent. Be an Allstate Agency Owner and earn equity in the business you build! Visit AllstateAgent.com/eofire to learn more about owning an Allstate Agency. Subject to the terms of the agency agreements.
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2)The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!