Erin, founder of Socially Powered, is a social media strategist, consultant & speaker who is passionate about helping businesses understand the power of social media. She is the mastermind behind the inaugural Social Media Day Denver event, which is happening again this year on June 30th.
Click to tweet: Fire Nation, Erin shares her incredible journey on EOFire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:04] – JLD might be at the 2018 Social Media Day Denver event
- [01:30] – Erin was miserable in Corporate America where she stayed longer than she wanted to. She decided to make a change when she realized she did not want to live a miserable life anymore. She bought a one-way ticket to Europe and spent six weeks there alone
- [02:30] – While in Europe, Erin met many amazing people and one girl she met is still one of her best friends today
- [03:06] – After six weeks in Europe, Erin needed to work. She was already a volunteer for an organization doing their social media and with her degrees in marketing, she realized she could use her skills and expertise to build her own business — that’s when she came up with Socially Powered
- [04:44] –The biggest mistakes entrepreneurs make in social media: not being consistent with their message and not engaging with their audience online
- [05:15] – Make the online relationship real, and when you meet in person, it’s about “turning the handshake into a hug”
- [05:51] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Erin was struggling with gaining more clients in the beginning and worked hard to keep them. One of her clients was extremely challenging and did not give her sufficient information that she could use for their social media channels. Erin felt bad because she thought she was not doing enough and made the hard decision to let that client go even though she needed the money
- [07:10] – After letting the client go, Erin got a message from a new client whom she calls her ideal client the very next day
- [07:42] – JLD says you have to know who your ideal client is so you can put out the good stuff and attract them
- [08:09] – Do not waste your limited time and energy on the wrong clients
- [08:32] – Erin says to follow your instinct and trust what the universe is telling you
- [09:05] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Erin saw the Social Media Day in San Diego and realized that Denver didn’t have something like that. Erin brought up the idea to her group, Colorado Women in Social Media, and they put together an event last year that included panel discussions, scavenger hunts, and networking
- [12:20] – Erin never imagined Social Media Day could be this big; they may have an international guest coming from Australia!
- [13:14] – JLD has a trip planned to New Zealand, Australia and London in late 2017
- 14:04 – Visit SocialMediaDayDenver.com – Fire Nation can get the tickets for $97 compared to the early bird price of $147 AND get the chance to hang out with Joel Comm, Kim Garst, Brian and Courtney Kramer, among others!
- [15:14] – Use the discount code “EOFIRE”
- [15:41] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? –“Fear of the unknown”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Hire early and often”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Learning”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – 17Hats
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – 21 Reasons Creativity is Like Sex by Courtney Smith Kramer
- [19:56] – If you are just getting started or thinking about starting a business, do it!
- 20:26 – Connect with Erin through her website and she is @sociallypowered on social media
3 Key Points:
- Be consistent with your message and engage with your audience on social media.
- Know who your ideal client is and work on attracting them to your business.
- Get started creating your own business — just do it!
- 17Hats – Erin’s small business resources
- 21 Reasons Creativity is Like Sex by Courtney Smith Kramer – Erin’s Top Business Book
- Socially Powered – Erin’s website
- Audible – Get a 30–day free trial of fantastic audiobooks!
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days! – Enter the promo code podcast for a special discount!
- iStock: Cut through the market place with only authentic imagery by trying iStock today. Visit istockphoto.com/podcastfire and grab your code for 20% off any product!
- VideoBlocks: Looking for premium stock footage or a music track for your next big project? Visit VideoBlocks.com/fire for a 2 for 1 deal: get AudioBlocks for free when you sign up for your $149 VideoBlocks subscription!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100-days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!