Floyd is the founder of Chrysalis Worldwide. He has an excellent track record of success as a Military Leader, Director, Consultant and Negotiator. He has established an international reputation for designing and running leadership and elite performance training in sports, business, government, police, not for profit organisations and education.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- TEDxTalk – Floyd’s small business resource
- Originals – Floyd’s Top Business Book
- Chrysalis Worldwide – Floyd’s website
- Connect with Floyd on LinkedIn and on Twitter
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Follow your North Star, so that you can be clear about your direction.
- Your values define who you are.
- Don’t let anyone dictate what you can and cannot do.
- UPS Store: The time to promote yourself to Business Owner is now. Visit TheUPSStoreFranchising.com/fire to get started today!
- LegalZoom: See how LegalZoom can help you start – and run – your business at LegalZoom.com! And be sure to enter EOF at checkout for special savings :)
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:59] – Floyd is married with 3 kids and 2 dogs
- [01:03] – His children are great communicators
- [01:09] – In the military, he spent 4 years in the parachute regiment and 23 years in the special air service
- [01:17] – He started as a soldier and finished off as a major – where he learned to be an entrepreneur
- [01:36] – He decided to start a business in 2008
- [01:43] – He worked and owned a number of companies
- [01:58] – Floyd’s goal is to show people how good and capable they are in achieving their own success
- [02:23] – Communication and adapting communication to connect to people is Floyd’s area of expertise
- [02:56] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: The compass for life – look at your compass and be clear on your direction. North is different for everyone, but for a team, you should point in the same direction. South is your ability to be a strategist, East is your values, and West is your strength of character.
- [04:07] – JLD was trained as a child to know his north, east, west, and south
- [04:47] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Floyd was 10 years old. He was in a sweets shop and decided to take a treat without paying. He was caught and the owner told him he would let his mom know. When his mom got home, she told Floyd to wait for his dad. When his Dad came home, he didn’t raise his voice, he just told him how disappointed he was with what Floyd did.
- [05:42] – From that day, it has always been about values for Floyd
- [06:21] – Floyd’s 2nd worst moment was stepping into business and not trusting his intuition
- [06:32] – They had a couple of companies fail and Floyd just held back for a long time
- [06:50] – It took Floyd a long time to stand up again
- [07:08] – Intuition is based on your past experiences
- [07:41] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: When Floyd was in the military, he wanted to bring together a number of different groups who were not aligned. The problem was, he had no authority. So Floyd worked on his strategy by using great communication skills and authenticity to influence people and bring them together.
- [08:56] – “Be authentically you”
- [09:12] – JLD learned to ask for forgiveness in the military
- [09:50] – Learn the compass for life
- [10:45] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’ve been working in what we call primary and secondary schools”
- [11:49] – 5-11-year olds have freedom of thought
- [12:01] – 12-18-year olds: the concept of failure comes in
- [13:04] – Do not limit any child, but give them encouragement and support
- [14:15] – Life is a journey – we learn as we go and what we learn makes us who we are
- [14:34] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It’s commitment”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Be a strategist”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “My time management… I practice probably harder… and I’m always passionate about what I do”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – TEDxTalk
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Originals – “It’s about entrepreneurs. It’s about not conforming”
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to earth, but you knew no-one. You still have all the experience and knowledge you currently have, your food and shelter is taken care of, but all you have is a laptop and $500 dollars. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “The next 7 days would be about networking. Connecting with people who are like-minded. And I would look to travel and make sure I connect to a group of people”
- [17:36] – Always follow your super north star
- 17:40 – Connect with Floyd on LinkedIn and on Twitter
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!