Gret has lived in Malawi, Africa for 3 years, his organization has built over 100 houses for orphans and widows, he’s crowdfunded a $100,000 girl’s school, and most recently he’s launched an app called DonorSee, which people are calling the “Uber for charities.”
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Scott Barstow’s blog – Gret’s small business resources
- Coming Apart by Charles Murray – Gret’s Top Business Book
- DonorSee – Gret’s website
- Connect with Gret on Twitter and on iTunes for the app
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- The value of money is different for those living on just $2/day.
- Treat your donors as customers and show them where their money is going.
- Go out into the world and expose yourself to things that make you uncomfortable.
- IRS Medic: Visit IRSMedic.com/fire to get help with international business compliance and all of your tax challenges today!
- Constant Contact: See how you can be a marketer: sign up for a free trial today at ConstantContact.com/podcast!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:15] – How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- [00:59] – Gret worked in a corporate job, but was not fulfilled and left for Malawi, Africa where he does poverty alleviation work
- [01:42] – Gret created DonorSee so people can see where their donations go
- [02:22] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: The area of third world countries combined with communications
- [02:52] – I am good at explaining how people in the third world live to people in the first world
- [03:38] – The value of money is different for those who live with just $2 a day
- [04:10] – Gret realized the tremendous potential to make an impact on peoples’ lives and to help people in the States feel that they have made an impact
- [05:09] – JLD partnered with Pencils of Promise because they also have transparency
- [06:26] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Gret was in Malawi for two months and Blessings asked him to go to a village
- [07:24] – At the village, they came across a homeless woman named Razina
- [08:23] – Gret wanted to build her a house, which would cost $800 and made a video to find funding, but was only able to raise $100
- [08:57] – Gret was upset and realized he needed to do more to raise money
- [09:26] – Gret changed his perspective and presented a plan stating where the money would go
- [09:45] – Within 24 hours, the money came in
- [09:52] – “I am going to treat the donors like customers”
- [10:15] – The lesson is to provide value to people
- [11:30] – Greatest AH-HA Moment: A girl was fetching water and was attacked by a crocodile — an aid worker was nearby and used DonorSee to fundraise for the girl’s medical needs
- [12:41] – They needed $100 and it came immediately
- [12:54] – At the same time, the Peace Corps contacted Gret and said they would ban DonorSee and their personnel using it would be sent home
- [13:30] – The Peace Corps ban got media coverage and people talked about it
- [14:05] – There are two different ways to raise money via DonorSee – the personal connections Gret has in Malawi with aid workers and people, and those who use the app can only crowd raise within their network
- [15:47] – What are you most FIRED up about today? – The idea of people using DonorSee to be able to respond to a cause they are excited about
- [16:50] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Fear”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you are ever at a crossroads and fear is the only thing holding you back, you have to do it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Diet and exercise”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Scott Barstow’s blog
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Coming Apart by Charles Murray
- [18:55] – Get out, live and expose yourself to the things that make you uncomfortable
- [19:11] – Connect with Gret on Twitter and in iTunes via his app
- [20:02] – The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!