Hillary Denham is the owner of Free Babes Handmade, a hairbow company for the adventurous child, and she’s also a blogger at I’m Like Brave, where she conducts video interviews with other creative entrepreneurs living lives they love. She is the proud mom of three free spirits and is married to fellow entrepreneur and husband, Jake.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Quip – Hillary’s business resource
- E-Myth – Hillary’s top business book
- Free Babes Handmade – Hillary’s website
- I’m Like Brave – Hillary’s blog
- Instagram – Hillary’s Instagram
- FreePodcastCourse.com – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow, & Monetize YOUR Podcast
3 Key Points:
- Instead of spending so much time finding your end-user, do collaborative ventures.
- Flexibility and time don’t mean your business has to be 100% virtual.
- More than anything, be resourceful.
- ZipRecruiter: Looking for quality candidates to help you grow your business? Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by over 1 million businesses (including EOFire)!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Started out as a classical ballet dancer
- [02:08] – Value Bomb Drop: Use the lumber jack principle—instead of spending so much time finding your end-user, do collaborative ventures
- [04:17] – What is something you’ve changed your mind about in the last 6 months? “In order for me to have the time flexibility and schedule I wanted, Free Babes needed to be virtual”
- [06:01] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: “I started marketing like crazy and created way more demand than we could supply”
- [09:03] – What Hillary did with unhappy mothers
- [09:52]– Be resourceful
- [10:14] – You don’t know what you don’t know
- [11:23] – Entrepreneurial AH–HA Moment: While attending a retreat, waking up and realizing it’s now or never, time to take a leap
- [14:00] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? Traveling for 12 months and getting connected to a non-profit to train women in Haiti
- [16:37] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I didn’t take a leap”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Get to know your weaknesses and strengths”
- What’s the personal habit that contributes to your success? Reading
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Quip
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – “E-Myth”
- Imagine you woke up tomorrow morning in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all the experiences and knowledge you currently have – your food and shelter is taken cared of – but all you have is a laptop and $500. What would you do in the next 7 days? – “I would look around and find something I could make something beautiful out of. I will organize a fun community event and teach them. And I will build a community where I can have influence.”
- [18:47] – Parting piece of guidance: “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and do that”
- [19:08] – Connect with Hillary on Instagram
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!