James Altucher is a successful entrepreneur, angel investor, chess master, author of the Wall Street Journal bestselling book Choose Yourself, and host of The James Altucher Show, where you’ll join today’s most influential thought-leaders in exploring what it means to be successful and achieve well-being in a world that is increasingly complicated.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Choose Yourself – James’ book
- JamesAltucher.com – James’ website where you can access his podcast
- James’ Phone Number – 1-203-512-2161
- SkillsOnFire.com – Allow JLD to set your skills on FIRE!
3 Key Points:
- Minimalism declutters your life, your worries, and your thoughts.
- Respect the fact that challenges will always come up, but do what you can to avoid risks in your life.
- Advice is Autobiography. People know what’s successful because it has worked for them in their lives.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- ZipRecruiter: Looking for quality candidates to help you grow your business? Find out today why ZipRecruiter has been used by over 1 million businesses (including EOFire)!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:52] – James is on EOFire for the third time!
- [01:09] – Author of Choose Yourself and host of The James Altucher Show
- [01:45] – He grew up in NYC, and he has failed at a lot of businesses!
- [02:19] – He would always lose money immediately
- [02:40] – Now he wants to be smarter in all aspects of his life.
- [02:55] – He has written 18 books, and loves writing.
- [03:35] – James is great at being himself.
- [04:20] – Choose Yourself is available for 99 cents on Amazon.
- [05:09] – His next book, Reinvent Yourself, will come out soon.
- [08:29] – How has minimalism brought you joy in your life?
- [08:40] – A great focus on all aspects of your health.
- [09:21] – Even when bad things happen, his recovery time is getting faster.
- [09:58] – Everything outside of personal health should be put to the side.
- [10:18] – You don’t need much of anything at all.
- [10:31] – James hired someone to get rid of everything that he didn’t really need.
- [11:00] – He even threw out his diploma and photo albums.
- [11:35] – All he has now is two bags of things that he can take with him everywhere.
- [12:00] – Getting rid of all worries besides his personal health.
- [13:00] – Life has become much more free
- [13:15] – Getting rid of the clutter of thought
- [13:48] – Focusing on what’s really important
- [13:58] – De-cluttering anxiety from his life
- [14:29] – He has more freedom and joy
- [17:32] – What do you hate and what do you do about it?
- [17:42] – Positive thinking doesn’t really work.
- [17:52] – Bad things and struggles will happen no matter what.
- [18:20] – “Respect the fact that things are difficult”
- [18:33] – Limiting the risks and the things that can get in your way.
- [18:42] – Owning as few things as possible
- [19:20] – Avoiding a long commute to work
- [20:25] – Figure out what works for you. We all will come up with unique solutions.
- [20:51] – “You can’t spend time with toxic people”
- [22:00] – There are simple things you can do to avoid getting sick.
- [22:45] – “Avoid dying earlier”
- [23:18] – Could “Advice is Autobiography” be the title of your next book?
- [25:35] – Can you take one or two things you’ve learned about life from the people you have interviewed?
- [28:05] – Parting piece of guidance: Get up in the morning, and try to say to yourself, “What am I going to do every day to improve physically, emotionally and creatively?”
- [28:35] – Connect with James on his blog at JamesAltucher.com or at 203-512-2161
- [28:49] – Buy Choose Yourself for 99 cents!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!