Lee Evans is an international business and branding expert who most recently serves as CEO and co-founder of SurveyMe, available in over 140 countries. SurveyMe was born out of his own success as he developed Bear Factory Ireland, later acquired by Build-a-Bear Inc., into Ireland’s leading plush retailer within 18 months.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- TheFreedomJournal.com – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal
- HipChat – Lee’s small business resource
- Steve Jobs – Lee’s top business book
3 Key Points:
- Look at life through your customer’s eyes.
- Be open and honest about your business.
- Listen to your customers to find out how you can improve.
- SquareSpace: A simple way to create your next landing page, gallery, online store, or blog. Start your free trial today and get 10% off your first purchase when you enter offer code FIRE!
- HostPapa: Looking for a powerful web hosting solution and cloud-based productivity tools for your business? Use promo code FIRE to save 15% off their shared web hosting packages!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:47] – Creator of Bear Factory Ireland, which later became Build-a-Bear.
- [01:05] – It’s all about the customer experience.
- [01:30] – Growth came down to listening to customers.
- [01:42] – One story about a grandmother who was placing a heart into a bear.
- [02:20] – A common reason for struggling businesses is losing touch with customers.
- [02:30] – He wanted to develop a tool to keep people connected with their customers.
- [03:13] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – Two revenue models.
- [04:35] -Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: It wasn’t too long ago.
- [04:43] – They started in a spare bedroom and now they’re in countries across the world.
- [05:00] – They took some investments too early.
- [05:11] – It was the wrong investment with the wrong partner.
- [05:41] – Their company was at the mercy of anybody.
- [06:23] – His best entrepreneurial moment followed, when clients reached out to help.
- [06:45] –They raised enough money in 24 hours to buy their own company back.
- [07:11] – Always be open and honest with everyone about your business.
- [08:16] – What do you want people to get from your story? – Your customers believe in you. Be honest with them.
- [09:20] – Clients will give you new insights of what needs to change.
- [10:04] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: – We were just another piece of software.
- [12:44] – What you want people to get from your story – Listen to your customers.
- [13:00] – Biggest weakness? –Trusting people too much.
- [13:36] – Not everyone is as honest as he is.
- [13:56] – Biggest strength?– Resilience. Looking fear in the eye and overcoming it.
- [14:26]– What has Lee most fired up today? – Responses from clients as they open up in the US.
- [15:12] – The difference he is making in people’s lives.
- [17:09] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? –Nothing ever held me back.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? –There are those that wait for things to happen, there are those that make things happen, and there are those that wonder what the hell just happened.
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – He climbs halfway up a mountain every month.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – HipChat
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. Anything by Jay Abraham.
- [19:54] – www.Survey-Me.com, LinkedIn, or contact his team at 1-888-551-6632
- [20:17] – Parting piece of guidance – Never stop listening
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!