Jared Angaza is a strategist and philanthropist. For 20 years he has created strategies, brands, campaigns, events and teachings that help us re-imagine philanthropy and transform perspectives. He coaches and consults for individuals, brands and governments across the globe and is on a quest to contribute to a more harmonious world.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- WordPress – Jared’s small business resource
- Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life – Jared’s Top Business Book
- Connect with Jared on his website and podcast
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Your brand is the soul of your business – it’s not just a marketing tool.
- Never make business decisions in moments of desperation.
- Branding is about fostering relationships and creating experiences.
- The Small Business Success podcast: Get real insight into what actually happened as some of the world’s greatest small businesses tackled their hairiest challenges. Subscribe to The Small Business Success podcast by Infusionsoft in Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts!
- Alibaba: Check out Alibaba’s 2-day conference in Detroit called Gateway17 going down June 20th and 21st where you’ll learn how to capitalize on the fastest-growing consumer market in the world. Save up to 50% on your registration fee by visiting Gateway17.com and entering code FIRE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:07] – Jared is a father of 4, including 18-month old twins
- [01:17] – He has been involved in human rights and political activism for 20 years
- [01:26] – He uses indigenous wisdom to teach about balancing the alignment between nature, humanity and spirit
- [01:35] – He has been developing brands and campaigns for the last decade
- [01:47] – After living in East Africa and Costa Rica, he’s back home in Nashville, TN
- [02:14] – Jared’s area of expertise is in creating brand experiences and brand development
- [03:00] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Branding is really about creating an experience
- [04:07] – Most people view branding as a sales and marketing tool; they forget that the brand is the soul of the business
- [04:53] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Jared had a creative agency in Nairobi – his biggest epic failure. He aligned himself with a business partner. Jared was in a desperate place and wanted to get out and start something creative. He stuck with his partner for 3 more years and lost his way
- [06:01] – It was a lesson to know when to fold
- [06:50] – Don’t make business decisions in a moment of desperation
- [07:34] – Step back, breathe, and think
- [07:46] – JLD’s word for the year is THINK
- [08:57] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: In 2005, Jared led a team of MMA fighters and ex-military down to New Orleans for the Katrina disaster relief. There, he learned about the various cultures that were different from his own and that started his journey to learning about other people’s perspectives. He decided to move to Rwanda and was intrigued by this culture. In the 5 years he spent there, he ended up adopting a street child
- [10:42] – He quickly learned that parenting is about influencing, and not governing
- [10:57] – His experience started a new change
- [11:28] – When Jared was in his home in Kenya, he just realized that branding is about fostering relationships and creating experiences
- [12:58] – It’s important to remember that your target audience has different perspectives and that’s where you need to dig deep
- [13:50] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I am particularly excited about some of the things that are shifting in America right now towards consciousness”
- [14:52] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I have certainly struggled with difficulties in having to go out and sell myself”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But, people will never forget how you made them feel”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I have a nightly gratitude meditation”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – WordPress
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life – “his teachings are on the Tao Te Ching that I spent a lot of years studying“
- [18:28] – Fill your life with things and people that bring you genuine joy
- [18:42] – Let your life speak
- [18:52] – Connect with Jared on his website and podcast
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!