Steve Young is now running Appmasters.co, an app marketing agency that helps clients with Apple features, App Store SEO and driving cost-effective downloads.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Rapportive – Steve’s small business resource
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things – Steve’s Top Business Book
- AppMasters – Steve’s website
- Connect with Steve via email
- FunnelOnFire – Learn how to create a funnel that converts!
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Building a business doesn’t mean you have to start from scratch—start with the resources you have.
- You can only make your side hustles big if you decide to take the leap.
- It’s not only fear of failure that holds you back, it’s sometimes fear of success.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- UPS Store: The time to promote yourself to Business Owner is now. Visit TheUPSStoreFranchising.com/fire to get started today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:53] – Steve was a regional FNE (Fire Nation Elite) member from way back
- [00:59] – He married his high school sweetheart and they have 2 kids
- [01:17] – FNE was a mastermind JLD and Kate ran for 30 months
- [01:36] – Steve proposed a flip of the switch and interviewed JLD on EOFire
- [02:39] – Steve’s area of expertise is in helping app companies with marketing
- [03:13] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: The exclusive strategy: give a big publication an exclusive and if they don’t respond, get another publication
- [04:06] – Planet of the Apps
- [04:18] – New show coming out that’s like Shark Tank, but for the app space
- [05:16] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In 2014, Steve left his corporate life. He made up his income while he was still working – he was working half client, half digital product. 3 months later, his client told Steve they couldn’t afford him anymore and he lost half his income
- [06:22] – Nothing worked until Steve decided to help people with app launches
- [06:41] – Losing his client took a toll even on Steve’s marriage
- [07:21] – The path of least resistance is the way to go
- [08:08] – A part of Steve was against the agency and trading time for dollars
- [08:20] – But, the agency is what really made Steve who he is today
- [09:03] – JLD doesn’t love it when people let others “should” on them—don’t tell me I “should” do something, let me think about it and decide
- [09:50] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: The ah-ha moment came to Steve way back in 2012, when he was listening to 30 episodes of EOFire, back-to-back. He realized everybody was talking about fear and he thought, maybe he, too, was afraid. That could be why he kept everything on the side
- [11:16] – Fear is huge
- [11:37] – There’s a lot of sabotage that happens in the world when you start getting traction
- [11:58] – There is fear of failure and fear of success
- [12:23] – Ask yourself, why haven’t you taken the leap?
- [13:00] – If you don’t think you’re afraid, you really might be
- [13:31] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I think we live in one of the greatest times in our era”
- [14:29] – Interview and learn from your heroes
- [14:42] – Listen to EOFire episodes 1-50 and hear how JLD has changed from then to now
- [15:44] – Steve is working on Copy Masters for podcasters who want to turn their audio clips into blog posts
- [17:00] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “All my side-hustles”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If we’re going with opinions, we’re going to go with mine, because I’m the boss”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I host monthly dinners with other entrepreneurs”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Rapportive
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Hard Thing About Hard Things – “This is a guy who’s running a multi-hundred million dollar business and still has the same insecurities as someone like me”
- [19:43] – You’re going to have to eventually take the leap
- [20:01] – Side hustles will only turn to something big if you decide to make it big
- [20:13] – Connect with Steve via email
- [20:42] – Listen to Episode 150 to hear Steve interview JLD on EOFire!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!