Zach Obront is the co-founder of Book In A Box, where he helps entrepreneurs and other professionals turn their ideas into professionally published books.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Inbox When Ready – Zach’s small business resource
Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives – Zach’s Top Business Book
Scribe Media – Formerly Book in a Box
Connect with Zach on Twitter
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Only take on what you can handle – don’t underestimate the work you’re given.
2) Learn to delegate tasks to team members.
3) Starting a business and scaling it to a new level are two different things that require a different set of skills.
Marriott Premier Business Card: Exclusively for business owners. Get the Marriott Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card and let your business take care of you for a change with 80,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening! Learn more at MarriottPremierBusiness.com/
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:00] – The challenge they kept running into is that people who are at the top of their game are almost too busy to write their own books
- [01:27] – Those people needed support; something that would help them save time
[02:02] – It’s been 3 years since they launched Book in a Box and they’ve worked with about 600 authors!
[02:54] – Zach’s area of expertise is in writing and publishing
[03:01] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: People tend to rush their outline and they run into problems with their editing. Slow down and spend time building the foundation of the book
[05:21] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Zach and Tucker started the business in the summer of 2014. Zach had been a solopreneur with many things going on at once. Zach hit a point where he had too much on his plate
[07:10] – Slow down and do things one step at a time
[07:41] – Tucker threw his late 20s and early 30s – he wrote three books that were stories about himself
[08:16] – Zach met Tucker when he was in college
[08:41] – He emailed Tucker for advice and they stayed in-touch for years
[09:59] – Take the “how to scale a business” advice to heart
[10:25] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: After Zach’s worst moment, they started to hire on more people. His mindset was: the business is my responsibility and the people we’ve hired are there to assist me. Soon after, Zach realized he had to look at each person as a team member who was independently responsible for their own piece
[12:16] – A year and a half into the business, they hired JT McCormick, now-CEO of Book in a Box, to help them scale the business
[12:02] – Acknowledge that the person to scale the business might not be the same person who started the business
[13:19] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “Just recently, for the first time, there was a project that I was so excited about that I jumped in to be a writer on. It’s about quantum computing”
[14:10] – Quantum computers can have probabilities between 1 and 0
[14:39] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Not much, honestly”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “The way you do one thing is the way you do everything”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I give a lot of gifts”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Inbox When Ready
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives – “I’m obsessed with it”
[18:24] – Focus on building a real team and the foundation of your business
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!