Jean South Bridges is a Marine spouse, daughter of Army veterans and a former FBI Special Agent. She is the President/CEO of Hire Served, where she bridges the culture and language gap between military veterans and recruiters who want to hire them but can’t understand them.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- CrossLead – Jean’s small business resource
- Not Taught and Your Next Mission – Jean’s Top Business Books
- Hire Served – Jean’s website
- Connect with Jean through her email or in LinkedIn
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline and Focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Structure your days and this will help you track your progress.
- Identify the things that distract you from getting things done and eliminate them.
- Figure out what your passion is and what inspires you to move forward.
- Constant Contact: See how you can be a marketer: sign up for a free trial today at ConstantContact.com/podcast!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:59] – Jean helps bridge the gap between military and civilian culture
- [01:12] – She has been married for 10 and 1/2 years to a Marine
- [01:24] – She’s a Florida girl who’s stuck in New Jersey
- [02:26] – Jean’s area of expertise is connecting people and building relationships
- [03:16] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: “It’s all about helping people to connect… one [unique value bomb] I love, I’ve happened upon, and share with people every chance that I get is actually the LinkedIn recommendation tool”
- [04:52] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “Leaving my full-time consulting role and starting my own business”
- [05:24] – “My goal was to create a thriving military-civilian interpretation business“
- [05:39] – Jean started out just last summer
- [06:18] – The Freedom Journal doesn’t mean it has to be 100 consecutive days
- [08:31] – How do you define Productivity? “Accomplishing the tasks that are going to lead to the end goal in an efficient, effective manner”
- [09:29] – Jean struggles when she doesn’t structure her days
- [10:29] – Parkinson’s Law: Tasks will expand to the time allotted
- [10:51] – How do you define Discipline? “Discipline is about seeing the long-term vision and making that more important than your short-term satisfaction”
- [13:07] – How do you define Focus? “Focus is when I’ve got all of my energy pointed in the direction I need it to be”
- [14:12] – Jean always has a lot of ideas and that’s her main struggle when it comes to focus
- [15:01] – Identify distractions and understand how to deal with them
- [16:26] – The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline and Focus in 100 days!
- [16:53] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was the fear of letting everyone else down”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “We’re all responsible for ourselves”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Crossfit
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – CrossLead
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Not Taught – it addresses all the things we learned in business school, and Your Next Mission – it’s all about personal branding
- [20:04] – Find your why
- [20:20] – Connect with Jean through her email or on LinkedIn
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!