John Swigart, who was named a 2020 Mid-Atlantic Entrepreneur of the Year, has been responsible for overseeing all aspects of Pie since its establishment in May 2017. He brings over 20 years of experience in tech-enabled insurance and financial services businesses. Prior to Pie, he served on the Esurance executive team for 13 years. John holds a B.A. in Economics from Haverford College.
Pie Insurance Website – Find out what Pie can offer you and your business!
Pie Insurance Quote – If you’re a small business owner, learn more about workers’ compensation insurance; get a quote in 3 minutes!
3 Value Bombs
1) The first and second primary drivers of any person’s success are grace and blessings; the third is what you end up doing with those two things.
2) Pie is successful in the market because they make it easier, faster, and more affordable for people.
3) Work towards your vision, have clarity, and ensure that you understand what might need to change along the way as you go towards that vision.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: Empowering People, Creating Value and Driving Change with John Swigart
[1:40]– John shares something he believes about becoming successful that most people disagree with.
- He believes that the first and second primary drivers of any person’s success are grace and blessings; the third is what you end up doing with those two things.
[2:34] – John shares his unique journey from CMO to CEO, and how he navigated the complexities of those two very different roles.
- The essential elements of his transition focused on growth, learning, and applying his knowledge and experience in valuable ways.
[4:18] – What was the initial idea for Pie, and how did you get it off the ground?
- Pie is a small business focused commercial insurance company.
- The idea was to provide a better way of insuring your company. Pie uses data and technology to improve customers’ experience and make insurance more affordable.
[6:04] – What is your number one differentiator in the insurance market?
- They say yes at an affordable price and provide customers with an easy process.
- Pie empowers small businesses to thrive by making commercial insurance as affordable and easy as possible.
[7:52] – What made you think Pie would have a chance?
- They launched with the mindset that they would be a multi-channel distribution company and sell through the traditional distribution channels of independent agents.
- Within 45 days, they were getting triple the total volume from one partner.
- Making it easier, faster, and affordable for people makes Pie successful in the market.
[11:55] – What challenges do you face entering a 600-year-old industry, and how do you continue to innovate?
- There are a lot of challenges in the insurance industry – capital intensity, regulatory hurdles, and complex problems to solve are just a few.
- The key is to ensure a balance between having insurance knowledge and expertise, with non-insurance knowledge and proficiency.
- Insurtech is a blending of insurance and technology. It is the key to driving innovation.
[13:56] – How do you build and maintain a positive corporate culture as you continue to expand?
- John is proud that they’ve been able to grow to 338 pioneers.
- They were able to grow, expand and enhance their culture even during the pandemic.
- Every single one of their team members is driving towards a joint mission of serving customers in a better way.
[16:19] – What is your advice for companies who are hungry for growth?
- You have to maintain clarity of vision for your destination.
- You must understand the drivers and the levers of your growth, and the balance of operating and pulling those levers.
[19:04] – John’s parting piece of guidance.
- Work towards your vision, have clarity, and ensure that you understand what might need to change along the way as you go towards that vision.
- It is essential to pivot as you go and grow.
- Maintain agility, flexibility, and be adaptable.
[20:23] – John’s call to action.
- Pie Insurance Website – Find out what Pie can offer you and your business!
- Pie Insurance Quote – If you’re a small business owner, learn more about workers’ compensation insurance; get a quote in 3 minutes!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!