Jordan Scheltgen started his advertising agency, Cave Social, in 2013. He has his own column for Inc Magazine on leadership called Think Forward and hosts the marketing show “In The Cave”.
Apple | Google | Spotify | Stitcher | iHeart
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Trello – Jordan’s small business resource
Extreme Ownership – Jordan’s Top Business Book
Cave Social – Jordan’s website
Connect with Jordan via email
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Use your content as a way to serve your audience.
2) Never have your business depend solely on one client.
3) Success does not happen overnight; GREAT things take time.
Belay: Ready to hire a Virtual Assistant? The BELAY team will customize your experience by walking you through the entire VA selection and on-boarding process. To learn more – and to grab the top 25 things BELAY clients delegate to their VA’s – visit BelaySolutions.com/fire!
OK State: The Oklahoma State Master’s in Entrepreneurship program is ideal for someone who wants to increase their career mobility or start their own business! To learn more text the word moreinfo to 77453.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:01] – Jordan played football in college
[01:10] – He looked for different ways to direct his energy—for example, he and one teammate started a blog for fun
[01:23] – Their magazine ramped up to 1M hits in a year and things went off from there
[02:03] – Consistent storytelling is Jordan’s area of expertise
[03:02] – Storytelling works by connecting you to your audience over time
[03:58] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Look at content as a way to serve and add value to your customer and not as a self-serving thing
[04:27] – Jordan’s technique is making priority lists
[05:38] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Two years ago, Jordan and his team were so happy they landed a Fortune 500 client. They started scaling their operation to match the incoming stream of work and the demands it created. Six months into the contract, the company’s leadership team got replaced and they received a call saying they weren’t going to do the contract anymore. Jordan lost 50% of their income overnight
[06:56] – “You can’t have too much of your business depending on one advertiser, one client, one customer”
[07:27] – Avoid being too saturated with one client
[07:59] – Look at your existing customers and break down your numbers
[08:34] – Use contractors instead of employees for projects
[09:41] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: When Jordan started their blog, they saw an offer for Florida Panthers’ season tickets. They bought the tickets that were being given away on Craigslist. The Panthers saw that and flew them down for a game. They blogged about the experience and the next day, they were in the news – their side traffic was built up overnight. Jordan’s aunt, who was in public relations, told him any brand would have paid him $250K for that kind of exposure. Jordan realized he could actually make this into a business
[12:48] – “Creating great things takes time”
[14:03] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I am absolutely in love with video marketing, podcasting, and how little the barrier to entry is”
[18:25] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was college”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Surround yourself with people that are better than you”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Reverse engineering my spaces in life”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Trello
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Extreme Ownership – “it’s all about leadership and really being accountable to the ‘nth’ degree”
[21:50] – “The lights will not always be green”
[22:25] – Connect with Jordan on his website or via email
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!