Josh Mantz was shot and killed by a sniper in Baghdad in 2007, and now helps people overcome emotionally traumatic experiences. He’s the Founder and CEO of Darker Souls, LLC.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
International Study of Traumatic Stress Studies – Josh’s small business resource
Man’s Search for Meaning – Josh’s Top Business Book
Darker Souls – Josh’s website
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) All your experiences are what make you the person you are today.
2) Never rely on just one revenue stream – diversify as much as you can.
3) Be confident that you can and will survive breaking away from a bigger organization.
Omaha Steaks: The perfect holiday gift for your clients, employees and partners! Omaha Steaks has a huge variety of gift options to choose from and flexible gift plans for businesses of all sizes. Right now you can get their exclusive holiday gift package for $59.99. Visit OmahaSteaks.com and type EOF in the search bar!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:00] – Josh was an infantry officer in the army for 10 years
[01:05] – His career ended because he was attacked by a sniper
[01:19] – He survived for 30 minutes before flat lining for 15 minutes
[02:14] – Darker Souls stems from the title of Josh’s upcoming book, The Beauty of the Darker Soul
[02:29] – All of our experiences shape who we are
[02:44] – Derive meaning from the suffering in your life
[03:44] – Josh’s area of expertise is in helping people find resolve from their emotionally traumatic experiences
[04:03] – Trauma doesn’t discriminate – it impacts everyone
[04:42] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: As human beings, we have the natural tendency to compare ourselves with others and we tend to minimize our own experiences in comparison to them
[05:46] – It’s important to understand that trauma is not always what it seems
[06:10] – Only compare yourself to who you were yesterday
[06:34] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Opening the company was Josh’s lowest entrepreneurial moment. He was resistant for a lot of reasons and he had only one revenue stream: the publication of his book. The problem was that the review process of The Department of Defense was significantly delayed. This delay almost caused him to close his business
[07:51] – This delay forced Josh to develop new revenue streams that simultaneously opened up new doors for him
[08:24] – Learn to diversify your revenue streams
[09:19] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Josh followed a strange career path in the military because of his knowledge in the behavioral health field. He started to learn that the trauma field was oversimplified within the clinical community. When he transitioned out of the military, he joined one of the largest behavioral health companies in the world. He was surprised to see that the oversimplification of trauma existed on a universal scale
[10:55] – Have the confidence to break away from a bigger organization
[12:07] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I am most excited about expanding this work into different populations, starting with law enforcement”
[15:36] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was largely the financial handcuffs”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Think and act greater than the environment that surrounds you”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Breathwork”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – International Study of Traumatic Stress Studies
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Man’s Search for Meaning – “Frankl tells us that without suffering and death, human life cannot be complete”
[21:42] – Build your own support network
[22:16] – The human connection is most powerful in combatting trauma
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!