Sam is the founder/CEO of Vinder, a P2P marketplace for homegrown produce. He’s an organic gardener, clean crop advocate, community organizer, fitness instructor, and long distance hiker.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
OverDrive – Sam’s small business resource
Vinder – Sam’s website
Connect with Sam via email
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
3 Value Bombs
1) Move forward by taking one step at a time.
2) Never give up—even if people discourage you.
3) Listen to those around you and I guarantee you, you’ll find a problem that you can solve.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:54] – Sam is 26 years old and is a long distance hiker
[01:44] – His area of expertise is taking a big goal and breaking it down into smaller tasks
[02:56] – 98% of Sam’s hikes are in the wilderness and forest
[03:36] – It’s takes about 4-7 days before Sam reaches a town during his hike and he eats freeze-dried meals, sweets, fresh fruits and veggies
[04:32] – Sam encounters scary experiences almost every day he hikes
[04:44] – Sam’s scariest experience was in Oregon, when it rained all night and all morning. Three hours into the hike, it started to snow. The snow became so heavy that Sam couldn’t see 30 yards in front of him. Sam had the choice to go back to where he knew there was a town or continue forward. He decided to move forward and by the end of the day, he made it to his campground
[08:31] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Two years ago Sam came up with an idea for an identification app he wanted to build. He created a business plan and submitted it to a business plan competition. He made it through to the semi-finals and finals, but ended up in second place. The judges told him his business was not feasible. He went back home to look for a job but ended up turning down an offer
[10:46] – “Don’t give up!”
[11:02] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Sam attended his town’s entrepreneur round-table discussion. The main problem discussed was the high cost of living and lack of fresh produce. Sam walked home and found fresh produce from his neighbors. It finally clicked in Sam’s mind to create the system that is now Vinder
[13:35] – Listen to what people around you are saying
[13:57] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m super fired-up about the hyper, local, food movement that’s going on across the nation”
[17:36] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I’m not sure anything was”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Don’t give up and keep moving forward”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I wake up about [4:30]-5:00 am and I listen to motivational audio tracks for the first 30 minutes of my day”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – OverDrive
[19:17] – Listen to the problems of your surroundings because they are opportunities for you to solve
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!