Justin Mares is the founder of Bone Broth Company, the 1st (and only) shelf-stable bone broth company. He’s also the co-author of Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers and the former Director of Revenue at Exceptional, a software company that was acquired by Rackspace for 8 figures in 2013.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Asana– Justin’s Small Business Resource
- Kettle and Fire– Justin’s company
- Traction – Justin’s book
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things– Justin’s Best Business Book
- The Slight Edge – A great book that is all about the Compounding Effect
3 Key Points:
- Stay in the middle, things are never as good or as bad as they seem.
- Hire slow, fire fast.
- Action leads to reaction, so just go for it.
- ZipRecruiter: If you’re ready to start hiring, then ZipRecruiter is where you can find your perfect candidate! Try ZipRecruiter for free today at ziprecruiter.com/fire!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:53] – John introduces Justin to the show
- [01:21] – Justin sheds some light on who he is
- [03:34] – How Kettle and Fire came to be
- [07:29] – How Justin generates revenue
- [06:01] – Worst Entrepreneur Moment
- [08:24] – Things are never as bad – or as good – as they seem
- [08:59] – You need to psychologically prepare yourself for massive, sudden setbacks
- [09:56] – Surround yourself with the RIGHT people
- [10:18] – Entrepreneur AH-HA Moment
- [12:01] – Nobody is going to show you how to do it—you just have to start trying
- [12:50] – Action causes reaction
- [13:18] – Even tiny bits of success will spiral you towards bigger and better things
- [14:02] – The Slight Edge
- [15:19] – Justin’s BIGGEST weakness?—a lack of technical proficiency
- [16:22] – BIGGEST strength?—Online marketing
- [17:18] – Hire slow and fire fast
- [19:07] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur?—Had no idea it existed
- What is the best advice you have ever received?—Frame the conversation around the value you provide, and have conviction around that value
- What is a personal habit that contributes to your success?—Meditation
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation—Asana
- One book to have on your bookshelf?—The Hard Thing About Hard Things
- Imagine you awoke in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all your experience and knowledge. What’s the 1st thing you would do?—Meet with as many entrepreneurs as possible, find one you want to work with, and after 7 days ask them to come on board.
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!