Michael Bungay Stanier is Founder and Senior Partner at Box of Crayons, a company that helps people and organizations do less Good Work and more Great Work. He is the author of the new book The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- boxofcrayons.biz – Michael’s latest venture
- Helping – Michael’s Best Business Book
- IDoneThis.com – Michael’s Small Business Resource
- Dan Sullivan of Strategic Coach – Resource recommended by JLD and Michael
3 Key Points:
- Feedback is important but it’s not gospel—take bits and pieces of it.
- Know who your real client is—if you don’t, then you’re wasting your time.
- Get clear on the end-game so you can play the game.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:37] – John introduces Michael to the show
- [01:07] – Michael highlights his background
- [03:18] – Forced into entrepreneurship by 9/11
- [04:14] – How Michael generates revenue
- [04:27] – Do less good work and do more great work
- [06:11] – Worst Entrepreneur Moment — getting CRUSHED by a potential client
- [08:49] – Figure out WHO the REAL client is
- [09:31] – Until you actually do something, you’ll never know the right versus the wrong
- [10:19] – You have to listen to the feedback, but you also have to realize that the feedback isn’t gospel
- [11:06] – Entrepreneur AH-HA Moment
- [11:22] – Dan Sullivan of Strategic Coach
- Phase 1: “I am a…”
- Phase 2: “I am an entrepreneur who…”
- Phase 3: “I am somebody who creates intellectual property for…”
- [13:32] – What are you doing to invest in yourself?
- [14:07] – Show up in a humble way every day
- [14:38]– Biggest Weakness?—Answer “how much is enough?”
- [15:50] – Biggest Strength? – Stupidity
- [18:12] – Fired Up About? – Learning how to launch a book
- [19:20] –The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur?—Thinking money is more important than purpose
- What is the best advice you have ever received?—Michael, you are a good person
- What is a personal habit that contributes to your success?—Have two tables: a creative table and a process table
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation—IDoneThis.com
- One book to have on your bookshelf?—Helping
- Imagine you awoke in a brand new world, identical to Earth, but you knew no one. You still have all your experience and knowledge. What’s the 1st thing you would do?—Go out and find a job
- [23:03] – boxofcrayons.biz
- [23:18] – Know what to say NO to, so you can then know what to say YES to
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!