Kabir works in strategy at a Fortune 500 company and is an ex-VP at J.P. Morgan. He is a New York Times best-selling author of eight books including Coined and Home, a book of poetry written with Deepak Chopra. He is a multi-Grammy Award winner and US Navy veteran.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- AL Daily – Kabir’s small business resource
- The Omni–Americans – Kabir’s Top Business Book
- Coined and Home – Kabir’s books
- Connect with Kabir on his website
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Always do your research first.
- Get out of your comfort zone.
- Give people the credit they deserve.
- SmartMove: If you own a rental property, or know someone who does, try SmartMove so you don’t find out the hard way that a prospective tenant is a risk. Visit TenantScreening.com, enter code FireNation, and get 25% off your next screening!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:03] – Some of Kabir’s best friends are people he works on creative projects with
- [01:23] – Kabir’s area of expertise is in diversification (working in more than one career)
- [01:54] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: You can subsidize your skill development
- [03:14] – Before taking on a new project, Kabir asks this question – “Can the project make the news?”
- [03:59] – Kabir recently wrote an opera on the European financial crisis
- [04:47] – A lot of people focus on incremental ideas
- [05:39] – When you pursue ideas that don’t belong together, you start competing with yourself
- [06:38] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Kabir was in India after graduate school. He started a “Facebook” company with his friend and they completely ran out of money. Kabir moved to the US to take a job and he used his paychecks to subsidize his friend in India. They eventually got an offer from a multi-national corporation to acquire the company but they turned the offer down. 1-2 years later, the credit crisis hit them.
- [07:58] – Do your research before starting a business
- [08:59] – Have healthy doses of pessimism and skepticism
- [09:28] – You should have at least 2 careers
- [09:57] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Kabir got bored with his job at J.P. Morgan so he decided to join the US Navy. He felt like a fish out of water – a Wall Street banker arriving in his black car. Eventually, he served active duty in the Middle East. He learned many military efficiencies that helped him do his civilian jobs better, like email structures and the BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front)
- [13:10] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I just wrote a book of poetry”
- 14:26 – Kabir wrote Home: Where Everyone Is Welcome: Poems & Songs Inspired by American Immigrants with Deepak
- [17:11] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Initially, my parents”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “To give other people credit”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “I get an email sent to me every day – an automatic email”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – AL Daily
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Omni–Americans – “the book is really about the American experience”
- 21:49 – Kabir started at J.P. Morgan a few months before the credit crisis, which inspired him to write Coined
- 22:10 – Coined is not just a history of money, but an evolutionary look at money
- [23:02] – “If you want to learn about something, write about it”
- 23:21 – BitCoin is an alternate technology
- [24:25] – “Don’t think of BitCoin as a currency”
- [25:01] – Make sure your emails have keywords and are written with the bottom line upfront
- 26:48 – Connect with Kabir on his website
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!