Travis Chappell is a direct sales expert who has built teams for several sales organizations over a few different industries and is also active in the real estate market. More recently, he decided to pursue his passion of helping others and founded Build Your Network, a podcast dedicated to helping professionals grow their inner circle.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Zoom – Travis’s Business Resource
The Closer’s Survival Guide – Travis’s top business book
Revive Water – Travis’ other business
Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow, & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
Build Your Network – Travis’s podcast
3 Value Bombs
1) Learn the skill of selling. If you are naturally good at it, get better. If you are not naturally good at it, get better anyway.
2) Entrepreneurship is tough and there is a lot of failure to be had so prepare yourself.
3) You network is your net worth
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[02:58] – Travis’ expertise is in door-to-door retail and in-home sales
[04:51] – “Learn the skills of selling. If you are naturally good at it, get better. If you are not naturally good at it, get better”.
[05:22] – Without sales there is no business
[05:39] – Don’t quit your job to jump full-time into entrepreneurship
[06:14] – If you are working in a full-time job, which is not in sales, then switch to a sales job
[07:15] – Worst Entrepreneurial moment: Travis’s worst moment was in the middle of 2015 when he realized he could not continue being a door-to-door salesman, and that he had to make a career move. He considered various career alternatives and applied to several jobs that he thought he was well-qualified for. However, he did not get a single job. He was totally directionless and broken.
[09:39] – “Never shy away from personal development”
[11:49] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA moment: In the midst of personal tragedy and turmoil, Travis had a record-breaking week in sales. That’s when he truly understood the meaning of the word “unemployable” and that was his biggest AH-HA moment.
[18:51] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fear of not being good enough”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “There are two types of people. Those who produce excuses and those who produce results.”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Networking on purpose”.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Zoom
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Closer’s Survival Guide
[19:15] – Your network is your net worth
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!