Kathryn has inspired thousands of individuals to improve their health and happiness. She is a speaker, nutritional counselor and coach with a master’s degree in business administration. She runs a nonprofit in addition to her for-profit business. She has been seen on ABC, CBS and NPR and other media outlets.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Flux – Kathryn’s small business resource
- Thrive – Kathryn’s Top Business Book
- Mountain Mantras: Wellness and Life Lessons– Kathryn’s book
- Make Wellness Fun – Kathryn’s website
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- The world today allows more geographic independence than ever before – take advantage of that freedom.
- Set your own metrics where you can measure how far or near you are to accomplishing your goals.
- Begin with the end in mind – envision what you want in the future and work towards that goal.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Klaviyo: If you’re an eCommerce marketer looking to make more money through super-targeted, highly relevant email and advertising campaigns, then sign up for free today at Klaviyo.com!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:10] – Kathryn is a mom, a wife, and a business owner
- [01:25] – 20 years ago, Kathryn had her MBA and started working in management consulting
- [01:35] – She had a glimpse of the rat race and started thinking about a career change
- [01:54] – She got a certification in Nutritional Counseling and started a nonprofit organization for wellness
- [02:10] – Her kids are now teenagers and she is embracing her new life as an author, speaker, and coach
- [03:23] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Kathryn’s value bomb is that geographic independence is much more possible today than before
- [04:55] – “Life in the business world has changed a lot in 20 years and we can be more mobile now”
- 06:15 – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “The first Freedom Journal was all about the publicity and marketing plan for my first children’s book”
- [07:24] – Kathryn used JLD’s SMART goals section at the front of her Freedom Journal (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound)
- [07:47] – She set metrics for her goals using the SMART goals guide
- [08:05] – She experienced success with her goals
- [08:13] – Kathryn thought she wanted to do it again and got another Freedom Journal to start her own podcast
- 08:59 – Her podcast, Mountain Mantras: Wellness and Life Lessons, launched in Oct. 2016
- [09:59] – How do you define Productivity? “You first have to set the big vision… what you then do is take that vision and you break it down into manageable, achievable steps”
- [10:39] – “Productivity means you have to take action every day”
- [11:03] – How do you define Discipline? “I liken discipline to willpower”
- [12:14] – Use your willpower wisely for your goals
- 12:34 – JLD talks about StayFocused and InboxPause
- [13:21] – How do you define Focus? “Focus is literally doing one thing at a time”
- [13:42] – Kathryn shares a test you can do at home
- 15:03 – The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
- [15:25] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Fear of the unknown”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Focus on what you can control and stop complaining about what you can’t control”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Get outside every single day in nature, it’s where your best work will happen”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Flux
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Thrive – “It’s amazing”
- 19:27 – Get Kathryn’s GIFT to Fire Nation on her website: an excerpt from her book, Mountain Mantras: Wellness and Life Lessons
- 19:58 – Connect with Kathryn on her website
- [20:16] – Get focused on what you have control over
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Free Goals Course: Accomplish a meaningful goal!