Nassim Abdi moved to the U.S. as a graduate student in 2003. Throughout her doctoral education, and after teaching a variety of humanities subjects, she noticed a gap in terms of teaching multiculturalism in academia. So, she co-founded Docademia, a social enterprise which brings unrepresented voices- those most often ignored or misrepresented in dominant media narratives- into classrooms.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Telegram – Nassim’s business resource
- Lean In – Nassim’s Top Business Book
- Docademia – Nassim’s website
- Connect with Nassim via email, LinkedIn, and Docademia
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- We all have biases and preconceived notions, but as entrepreneurs, we must be aware of our biases and how we can control them to make fair decisions.
- Commit to something and you will ALWAYS find a way to make it happen.
- You’ll never reach your goal just by looking at it—take one step and dare to climb your mountain.
- Billy Gene Marketing: Visit CopyOurAds.com and if you’re the first 100 to sign up, Billy Gene will mail you his best performing Facebook ad campaigns for FREE. You just cover the shipping!
- City National Bank: Looking for financial resources to help get your business to that next level? Visit CNB.com/fire! City National Bank member FDIC.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:12] – Nassim married her best friend and has 2 boys
- [01:57] – In 2004, she was teaching a humanities course where the topic was war and peace
- [02:04] – Nassim grew up in Iran and has first-hand experience from the war between Iran and Iraq
- [02:13] – She realized her students weren’t able to connect to the concepts to the extent that she does
- [02:30] – As a teacher, Nassim tried to find a way to help change this experience
- [02:37] – She screened a documentary about the concept of war
- [02:42] – They used the movie to talk about Nassim’s experience
- [02:57] – That motivated Nassim to start Docademia, in 2013
- [03:10] – The mission for Docademia is to be the “Netflix” for academia
- [03:27] – JLD can personally resonate with Nassim because of his experience in Iraq
- [04:11] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: Implicit Bias: the stereotypes and attitudes that unconsciously affect our perceptions, actions, and decisions
- [06:09] – As entrepreneurs we must know our own biases and try to control them
- [06:35] – There are anti-bias techniques such as exposing yourself to counter stereotypic individuals
- [07:50] – What was your goal for The Freedom Journal and how did you crush it? “The Freedom Journal was my life’s savior…” Nassim decided that her goal would be to monetize Docademia.
- [08:06] – When Nassim started Docademia, they hosted a contest for documentaries around the world
- [08:42] – Nassim had too much on her plate having to balance her family, consulting career, and Docademia
- [09:00] – Nassim decided that her goal would be to monetize Docademia
- [10:19] – Nassim made a commitment to her journal
- [11:07] – She had to finish her goals every workday at 11am because her kids need her
- [11:37] – She achieved her goal on day 91!
- [12:10] – Clear the distractions and clutter in your life
- [13:21] – How do you define Productivity? “I define it as a clear cut goal… and that should be a goal that I can achieve it, and evaluate”
- [14:13] – Nassim’s biggest struggle is keeping that one goal
- [14:38] – Nassim discusses Napoleon Bonaparte
- [15:02] – How do you define Discipline? “Discipline is when I have a routine or schedule that I can follow or repeat everyday”
- [15:30] – Nassim recalls an interview on EOFire
- [16:20] – How do you define Focus? Follow One Course Until Success
- [18:12] – The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
- [19:02] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The after-immigration limiting tasks”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “If you stand far away from a mountain and look at the top of the mountain from the distance, it seems almost impossible to get to the top of it. But if you just dare to get closer to the mountain and start, you’ll see paths that could lead you to the top”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Waking up early in the morning and writing in my Freedom Journal”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Telegram
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Lean In – “it was the book that helped me start Docademia”
- [21:48] – Reconnect with your true line
- [22:07] – Connect with Nassim via email, LinkedIn, or Docademia
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!