Kevin is a life-long serial entrepreneur originally from Silicon Valley and veteran of more than 9 startups. Passionate about all things health and wellness, he was the thought leader and co-founder of the original Paleo f(x)™ in 2012 and co-host of FitFluential Radio.
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Entrepreneurial Personality Type – Kevin’s small business resource
- The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson – Kevin’s Top Health Book
- Fitfluential – Kevin’s website
- Connect with Kevin on Twitter and Instagram
- How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- In difficult situations, you need to triage and have the right people who will help you through that problem solving process.
- We have to give importance to our health, as it directly affects how we do our work.
- Know when say “no” and HOW to say it properly.
- Host Gator: With HostGator, having a website is easy AND affordable. Visit HostGator.com/fire for 60% off today!
- UPS Store: The time to promote yourself to Business Owner is now. Visit TheUPSStoreFranchising.com/fire to get started today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- 00:15 – How to Finally Win – Create your dream life one step at a time!
- [01:00] – Kevin grew up in Silicon Valley where he worked as a CPA for entrepreneurs and startups
- [01:43] – Kevin learned it’s all about the team—there are always going to be hiccups and he had to learn a lot before being able to contribute
- [02:26] – One BIG and Unique Value Bomb: I am experienced in helping people understand what’s realistic
- [03:00] – I am the guy that makes an impossible goal doable
- [03:24] – Kevin did rescue work and found out he is not easily stressed
- [03:53] – From a business development standpoint, Kevin learned what he could and could not do, the risks involved in the process, and how to keep his cool
- [04:46] – As a rescue swimmer, Kevin learned that he could not necessarily rescue all the people he encountered, but he could do his best, and this is how he thinks in business
- [05:19] – JLD shares how this is similar to what he learned in Iraq
- [06:28] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Kevin was part of the company that invented the @ symbol in the email address!
- [07:00] – They ran across a company called Geocities and they bought 70 racks of servers from Kevin’s company – this was highly unheard of at the time
- [08:17] – 48 hours before the launch of Geocities, Kevin started to get concerned as the leadership team and staff did not know what to do with 70 racks of servers
- [09:20] – Kevin got an alert from the tech team saying they could not make it to work on time…
- [09:39] – Kevin went into “crisis team mode” and assembled a team to fix the problem
- [10:17] – They found a hacker who could fix the servers and was just released by a federal program
- [10:51] – The morning of the launch, there were 5 people working and dealing with the problems
- [11:01] – The CEO called Kevin, thanked him, and wanted him to teach them about quick reaction and problem resolution
- [11:41] – When you have a daunting challenge, you have to triage
- [12:28] – When you look at your options you need to have the right mentors that will give you the right input
- [12:43] – Greatest Idea: There is big misunderstanding about being your own health advocate
- [13:50] – There isn’t a great resource out there that is not directly selling you something
- [14:52] – Kevin’s podcast is for people who just want to listen and learn
- [15:39] – Kevin used to push his body by working all the time and he realized he was wrong in thinking that he would always stay healthy
- [16:05] – He learned he had to look at his health the same way he approached his business and that he needs to be proactive
- [17:17] – JLD says we have to be proactive with our health
- [18:05] – We do have control over our health
- [18:35] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Initially, I did not have all the pieces together”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “You’re going to get pulled in a thousand directions; you’re going to have people that have their own agenda and your ability to navigate that well is very important; you’re going to have to learn to say ‘no’ to a lot of things and still make people understand why – and feel good about it”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Saying ‘no’ to a lot things and a list of things to say ‘no’ to”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Entrepreneurial Personality Type group on Facebook
- If you could recommend one health/fitness/nutrition book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
- 25:24 – Connect with Kevin on his website, podcast, Twitter, Instagram
- [26:04] – Focus on your priorities and your health
- 26:52 – The Freedom Journal – Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!