Laura Hanly owns a content marketing agency, and is a bestselling author on content marketing. She extracts the expertise from start-ups, consultants and entrepreneurial companies, and distills it into books, copy, and blog content that generate hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales every year.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Hemingway – Laura’s top business resource
- Breakthrough Advertising – Laura’s top business book
- Laura Hanly – Laura’s website
- Gift for Fire Nation
- Connect with Laura on Instagram
- Wait But Why – blog by Tim Urban
- Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
3 Key Points:
- It is important to have a system in place for your content marketing.
- Know what your expertise is and build upon that.
- There is no value in hiding what you know from others.
- DesignCrowd: Post your design project on DesignCrowd today and get a special $100 VIP offer! Visit DesignCrowd.com/fire and enter the discount code FIRE when posting your project!
- Billy Gene: Eager to learn the strategies that will help you successfully create and grow your own business? My friend Billy Gene has the solution. Visit CantLearnThisInSchool.com to sign up for your free trial of Gene Pool Elite today!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:13] – Free Podcast Course – A free 15 day course on how to Create, Grow & Monetize YOUR Podcast!
- [00:55] – Laura is Australian by birth, and got into content marketing from working as a publicist—she is currently living in Portugal
- [02:09] – Laura’s expertise is in helping entrepreneurs be systematic and very organized in their content marketing
- [03:25] – Laura shares a study by Sales Force, wherein people need at least 6-8 interactions with a business before they are ready to buy
- [05:06] – Laura said your domain expertise, as an owner, is your business
- [06:07] – JLD explains the importance of ILT: invest, learn, teach
- [07:15] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Laura’s worst entrepreneurial moment was when she worked hard for her business, but ended up without any clients for a period of time because she did not build her own systems
- [09:07] – “Always keep an eye on the end goal and make sure you are doing your work”
- [09:24] – JLD shares that we are all building lifestyle businesses
- [10:28] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Laura’s AH-HA moment was knowing how to create content, particularly writing a book
- [12:25] – JLD talks about saturation and how to “rise above the noise”
- [13:45] – Laura explains the importance of committing to what you are doing
- [14:33] – What are you most FIRED up about right now? – The quality aspect
- [14:51] – JLD asked Tim Urban to create a podcast out of his blog
- [15:27] – Laura shares there is no value in hiding what you know from other people
- [16:28] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “I didn’t know how to get from where I was to being an entrepreneur”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “The money is in the follow-up”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Complete disconnected time while walking and thinking about core priorities
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Hemingway
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz
- [20:30] – Connect with Laura at her website where she has a gift for Fire Nation and through Instagram
- [20:58] – “Be committed, be humble, but let people know”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!