On July 31st, 2015, Lawrence decided to quit his first job out of school to pursue a hot sauce and grocery industry that was ready for change.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
DropBox – Lawrence’s small business resource
Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Lawrence’s Top Business Book
Wuju Hot Sauce – Lawrence’s website
The Mastery Journal – Master Productivity, Discipline, and Focus in 100 days!
How To Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
3 Value Bombs
1) Listen to those small, intimate details in conversations.
2) When things go wrong, remember there will always be a time when it will go right.
3) Don’t focus on the things that are beyond your control.
I Love Franchising: If you’re tired of Corporate America and want to step into owning your own business, then the time to make a move is NOW. …And why not make that move into franchising? Erik of I Love Franchising has personally helped over 1,000 people transition out of Corporate American and into Franchise Ownership, and you can take your first step towards doing the same today. Visit ILoveFranchising.com/fire to download Erik’s free eBook, The Franchising Playbook, today!
HP: For a limited time only, save 35% on HP’s ZBook 17G 4 mobile workstation, and other select best-selling Business PCs with Intel Core processors. Visit www.hp.com/onfire and enter code ONFIRE at checkout!
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:02] – Lawrence grew up in the restaurant industry with his parents
[01:53] – His area of expertise is being able to listen to more intimate details in conversations
[03:04] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: When Lawrence first developed connections, it became a huge learning process. Be authentic, be real, be genuine and don’t forget to amplify your reactions
[06:47] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: On July 31st of last year, Lawrence realized there was a need to raise capital because of his company’s growth. Unfortunately, at the time, his father endured a stroke and his mom’s cancer worsened. He was still learning the language of fundraising when his parents were confined in both wings of the same hospital. It was a wakeup call that gave Lawrence focus
[09:00] – You can’t expect both your business and personal life to be going well at the same time
[09:45] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: When Lawrence was first developing the brand, he was thinking of introducing a simple, clean label for his hot sauce. He developed it with his sister, but couldn’t find something that felt right. Lawrence wanted to honor a friend of his who recently died of cancer, so when his friend’s mom posted a photo, he found his brand
[11:32] – Being in a capital intensive business, Lawrence thought funding would just come his way – BUT, it was the other way around
[12:15] – Ignorance is bliss
[13:27] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “It’s our opportunity to scale”
[14:28] – Organic networking brought in the biggest wins for Lawrence’s business
[15:09] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The pressure of family and friends”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Learn from other people’s mistakes”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Being actively aware and taking a step back when I’m stressed out”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – DropBox
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Rich Dad, Poor Dad – “I think it does an amazing job of showing how different two perspectives in two very similar situations can be”
[19:44] – Control what you can and focus on that
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!