Tucker is the Co-founder of Book In A Box, a company that turns ideas into books. He wrote three #1 NY Times Best Sellers, including I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. His books have sold over 3 million copies, have been translated into over 30 languages, and are credited with creating the literary genre “fratire”.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- JohnLeeDumas – Follow John on Snapchat
- Slack – The tool that Book in a Box loves
- Scribe Writing – Formerly Book in a Box
- The Trauma of Everyday Life – Tucker’s book recommendation
3 Key Points:
- Don’t let your arrogance get in the way of a great idea.
- Accept your flaws and setbacks as your business grows, and make the choices that are best for your business.
- Recognize the opportunities that are in front of you.
- eVoice: See how eVoice can help you connect with your prospects, partners, and customers quickly and easily! eVoice is offering Fire Nation an extended, 60 day free trial – just visit eVoice.com and use promo code FIRE!
- HostPapa: Looking for a powerful web hosting solution and cloud-based productivity tools for your business? Use promo code FIRE to save 15% off their shared web hosting packages!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:04] – Tucker has a wife, a two-year-old, and a baby on the way.
- [01:56] – How do you generate revenue in your business? – Royalty from his books, and his company Book in a Box.
- [02:17] – 300 books and $5 million in sales.
- [02:38] – Where did that idea come from? – The lowest moment and the highest moment got him to this company.
- [03:20] – A woman came up to him and told him that people wanted her to write a book.
- [03:50] – She said she didn’t have time to put a book together.
- [04:24] – “How to write a book without writing it.”
- [04:37] – He lectured the woman, and she waited patiently.
- [04:53] – She said the if he really was an entrepreneur, he would help her solve her problem.
- [05:31] – He became obsessed with the idea.
- [05:48] – He had to overcome what it really meant to be a writer.
- [06:00] – Scribes wrote the words of great figures of history.
- [06:31] – He wrote every step down of how to write a book.
- [06:54] – He interviewed the woman and then did the work for her.
- [07:13] – It had to be her ideas, words, and voice.
- [07:27] – The book ended up beautifully.
- [08:00] – Even at that point, he still didn’t see the business opportunity.
- [08:11] – He went on his friend’s podcast, and his friend thought his idea already was a company.
- [08:29] – The company was advertised before it really started.
- [08:54] – The next day, Tucker was getting emails about Book in a Box.
- [09:28] – He was embarrassed that he didn’t see that as a business opportunity in the beginning.
- [10:07] – Now they are two years into it.
- [10:20] – It would have started earlier if he hadn’t been so arrogant.
- [10:37] – John had a similar experience with his podcasts. People wanted to know how he did it, and it took him a year to come up with his podcasting program.
- [11:50] – What has Book in a Box accomplished in revenue?
- [13:12] – The biggest struggles post-launch of Book in a Box – He realized he was failing as a CEO
- [15:35] – Biggest weakness?– He used to be bad at thinking that businesses focus on money and numbers.
- [17:28] – What has Tucker most fired up today? There is nothing better than family.
- [21:54] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – Defending the process of a writer.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Is it about you or about the company?
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Scheduling 8 AM to 1130 AM as his creative time.
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Slack
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Scribe Writing – Formerly Book in a Box. The Trauma of Everyday Life
- 26:58 –Tucker@bookinabox.com to get in touch with Tucker.
- 27:45 – Scribe Writing – Formerly Book in a Box
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!