Luisa shows ambitious individuals how to use their skills and interests to start a business on the side that has the potential to generate 2x-10x their full-time salary.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Basecamp – Luisa’s small business resource
- The New Psycho-Cybernetics – Luisa’s Top Business Book
- Luisa’s website
- The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Key Points:
- Build a life that suits your lifestyle – take control of what you can and plan ahead.
- Don’t let anyone run your life; you have to make your own choices.
- In whatever you plan to do, just start and take that first step.
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:00] – Luisa is the type of person who would always follow through on any opportunity
- [01:17] – Given that she’s Asian, Luisa found it a bit cliché when her mom’s friends asked her if she could help their kids get into a good college
- [01:30] – Luisa did this for 2 years and it grew into a 6-figure business
- [01:45] – She joined the corporate world in the financial services department
- [01:59] – She co-founded a mobile payment startup, but closed it after 3 years
- [02:17] – She went back to the corporate world, and in 2014 her family went through a very difficult crises that she couldn’t be present for due to her job
- [02:33] – Luisa wanted to have more control over her time and her life, so she started her online business
- [02:57] – Her current area of expertise is helping people turn their skills into a business
- [03:25] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: It’s important to learn everything yourself first
- [03:44] – A lot of new entrepreneurs try to hire and outsource right at the beginning
- [04:31] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Luisa’s parents are very traditional. Their dream for Luisa was for her to become an engineer, have a good corporate job, and not have worry about money. But, that dream wasn’t working for Luisa. A few months into her business, her father wanted to go on a family trip, but Luisa declined as she was deep into her work. Her father told her she was delusional if she thought her business would change her family’s situation
- [05:59] – That was incredibly hurtful for Luisa to hear from her father
- [06:25] – She had to trust herself
- [07:31] – “Believe in yourself, choose yourself”
- [07:53] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: In the first year of her business, Luisa made $100K from the launch of her course. She decided she would do a second launch and her goal was to double what she made previous. Her mentor asked her why not make her goal $1M. She set that new goal and took the necessary steps. She didn’t reach the million-dollar mark, but made $800K
- [09:45] – Think bigger!
- [10:17] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m really fired up about a massive project that I’ve been working on for a while… it’s basically personalizing my entire customer process in my business”
- [14:22] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Wanting to please my parents who wanted me to get a nice job”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Think bigger”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Investing in myself and constantly surrounding myself with people who are way more successful and smarter than I am”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Basecamp
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The New Psycho-Cybernetics – “it’s the best book I’ve ever read about reprogramming your mind”
- [16:13] – Just start!
- 16:27 – Check out Luisa’s FREE 5-day Weekend Empire Challenge at LuisaZhou.com/fire
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!