Luisa Zhou shows ambitious individuals how to use their skills and interests to start a business on the side that has the potential to generate 2x-10x their full-time salary.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Basecamp – Luisa’s small business resource
The New Psycho-Cybernetics – Luisa’s Top Business Book
The Mastery Journal – Master productivity, discipline, and focus in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Build a life that suits your lifestyle – take control of what you can and plan ahead.
2) Don’t let anyone run your life; you have to make your own choices.
3) In whatever you plan to do, just start and take that first step.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:00] – Luisa is the type of person who would always follow through on any opportunity
[01:17] – Given that she’s Asian, Luisa found it a bit cliché when her mom’s friends asked her if she could help their kids get into a good college
[01:30] – Luisa did this for 2 years and it grew into a 6-figure business
[01:45] – She joined the corporate world in the financial services department
[01:59] – She co-founded a mobile payment startup, but closed it after 3 years
[02:17] – She went back to the corporate world, and in 2014 her family went through a very difficult crises that she couldn’t be present for due to her job
[02:33] – Luisa wanted to have more control over her time and her life, so she started her online business
[02:57] – Her current area of expertise is helping people turn their skills into a business
[03:25] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: It’s important to learn everything yourself first
[03:44] – A lot of new entrepreneurs try to hire and outsource right at the beginning
[04:31] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Luisa’s parents are very traditional. Their dream for Luisa was for her to become an engineer, have a good corporate job, and not have worry about money. But, that dream wasn’t working for Luisa. A few months into her business, her father wanted to go on a family trip, but Luisa declined as she was deep into her work. Her father told her she was delusional if she thought her business would change her family’s situation
[05:59] – That was incredibly hurtful for Luisa to hear from her father
[06:25] – She had to trust herself
[07:31] – “Believe in yourself, choose yourself”
[07:53] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: In the first year of her business, Luisa made $100K from the launch of her course. She decided she would do a second launch and her goal was to double what she made previous. Her mentor asked her why not make her goal $1M. She set that new goal and took the necessary steps. She didn’t reach the million-dollar mark, but made $800K
[09:45] – Think bigger!
[10:17] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I’m really fired up about a massive project that I’ve been working on for a while… it’s basically personalizing my entire customer process in my business”
[14:22] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Wanting to please my parents who wanted me to get a nice job”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Think bigger”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Investing in myself and constantly surrounding myself with people who are way more successful and smarter than I am”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Basecamp
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The New Psycho-Cybernetics – “it’s the best book I’ve ever read about reprogramming your mind”
[16:13] – Just start!
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!