Mary Fran Bontempo is a speaker, author and humorist who teaches audiences to control their most powerful influence: Self-Talk. Author of The Woman’s Book of Dirty Words, and Not Ready for Granny Panties, she proves small changes in self-talk yield big life changes, allowing individuals to redefine their lives both professionally and personally in a rapidly changing world.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
HubSpot – Mary Fran’s small business resource
I Know How She Does It – Mary Fran’s Top Business Book
The Woman’s Book of Dirty Words – E-book version will be available at a 90% discount from 11/27-12/4 with the promo code EOFire
Mary Fran’s website
How to Finally Win – Learn how to create your dream life one step at a time!
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) You get to choose the way to live your life—your life, your choice.
2) There’s no need to be ashamed of your past experiences; it’s a part of you.
3) Vulnerability and authenticity go hand-in-hand.
Omaha Steaks: The perfect holiday gift for your clients, employees and partners! Omaha Steaks has a huge variety of gift options to choose from and flexible gift plans for businesses of all sizes. Right now you can get their exclusive holiday gift package for $59.99. Visit OmahaSteaks.com and type EOF in the search bar!
eHarmony: Put a stop to playing around with online dating apps that don’t net results! When you’re ready to start a meaningful relationship, there’s one app that’s built to bring you real love: eHarmony. Visit eHarmony.com and enter promo code FIRE at checkout to get a FREE month when you sign up for a 3 month subscription.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[01:18] – Mary is 58 and has 3 kids
[01:42] – She’s been a grade school teacher, a youth minister, a church singer, a newspaper columnist, an entrepreneur, and now she’s a speaker, writer, author and humorist
[02:12] – Her area of expertise is in helping people examine and redefine their self-talk
[02:51] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Because of past experiences, people tend to define themselves according to who they’ve been in the past. They remain stuck in these past definitions of themselves.
[04:07] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: In 2010, Mary experienced some storms in her life. Their executive search firm was struggling, she was nearing 50, she was a newspaper columnist while the Internet was booming, and her son was having issues
[05:07] – On Mother’s Day 2010, she was in the hospital with her son who overdosed on pain medication because heroine wasn’t available — she found out she was the mom of an addict
[05:31] – Everything in her life came to a screeching halt
[07:04] – After her son went into rehab, he relapsed
[07:33] – Mary realized after her son’s second stint in rehab that he had the ability to live his life any way he wanted
[07:51] – “The biggest lesson is: you get to choose”
[08:36] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Mary started her blog and when her issues with her son arose she wanted distance from that situation. But over time she realized all these experiences can be woven into her work. In the end she ended up reaching more people
[09:49] – In making herself vulnerable, she was able to connect with so many more people on an intimate level
[11:21] – “Be authentic and don’t shy away from your experiences”
[12:09] – Being yourself differentiates you from the crowd
[12:26] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “It’s the unknown”
[15:51] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was my self-talk”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “It was cosmic advice… A car pulled directly in front of us and the license plate on that car said ‘writer be’”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Resiliency”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – HubSpot
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – I Know How She Does It – “it talks about our concept of time”
[21:27] – Your self-talk is where your life starts
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!