Matthew Helderman is a media entrepreneur & Sundance awarded film producer based in Beverly Hills, California. In 2010, at the age of 22 – he founded Buffalo 8 Productions – a feature film & commercial production company with talent management & post-production divisions. In 2013, he founded the media debt financing firm BondIt – which has completed over 150 media financing transactions to date.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- BondIt – Matthew’s latest venture
- Losing My Virginity – Matthew’s Best Business Book
- email@example.com– reference FIRE for a 50% discount
3 Key Points:
- Grasp your market opportunity.
- Don’t own all the liability.
- Be concise—when you ramble, you lose people.
- Harry’s: The Harry’s starter set is just $15 and includes a razor, moisturizing shave cream, and 3 razor blades. Get $5 off your first order with promo code FIRE!
- Google AdWords: Get a $75 credit after you invest $25 dollars in your first campaign! Visit G.co/eofire to get started!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:48] – John introduces Matthew to the show
- [00:56] – Matthew’s background
- [04:41] – How Matthew generates revenue
- [05:39] – Bootstrapping from the ground up
- [06:04] – Buffalo8
- [07:58] – Worst Entrepreneur Moment
- [10:00] – Be carefull about putting everybody under your liability—put them under your LLC’s liability
- [11:12] – When you have 40 people on payroll you’re looking at $350K in debt
- [14:34] – Understand the liability you hold project to project, client to client—be diversified
- [16:35]– Biggest Weakness?—Not being able to remain singularly focused
- [18:16] – Biggest Strength? – Building various businesses under one roof
- [19:39] – Fired up about? – BondIt and the FinTech space
- [20:59] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back as an entrepreneur?—Understanding market opportunity
- What is the best advice you have ever received?—Get busy working on your own dreams, otherwise you’ll end up working on someone else’s!
- What is a personal habit that contributes to your success?—Have a consistent morning routine
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation—Slack
- One book to have on your bookshelf?—Losing My Virginity
- [27:08] – firstname.lastname@example.org and reference FIRE for a 50% discount
- [27:53] – With hustle and unrelenting persistence—opportunity will come
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!