Mel is the Author of the #1 Best-seller The Entrepreneur’s Solution. He’s been called the “thought leader to thought leaders”, advising some of the top influencers of our time in content creation, positioning and business.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Bonjoro – Mel’s small business resource
- Start with Why – Mel’s Top Business Book
- The Entrepreneur’s Solution – Mel’s book
- Mel Abraham and Thoughtpreneur – Mel’s websites
- The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE Courses for you!
3 Key Points:
- Don’t wait for perfection to begin.
- Embrace the fact that humans will never be perfect.
- Choose how you will spend your life.
- Billy Gene Is Marketing: My friend Billy Gene wants to send you something in the mail! It’s small, blackish, and if used properly it might deliver some serious R O I. For the next 100 listeners who go to CopyOurAds.com, Billy Gene is going to mail you his best performing Facebook funnels for FREE. You just cover the shipping!
- FreshBooks: FreshBooks helps you score daily wins in your battle against paperwork! To receive your free 30-day trial – no credit card required – visit FreshBooks.com/fire and enter Entrepreneurs On Fire in the “How Did You Hear About Us” Section!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [00:59] – Mel is a CPA by education
- [01:34] – His entrepreneurial journey has been amazing – being able to work on his own terms as a single, full-time dad
- [02:31] – His area of expertise is in extracting a person’s knowledge and translating it into something that can be communicated succinctly
- [03:00] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: In the context of thought leaders, people don’t realize the importance of a framework. It’s a communication tool that connects the left and the right brain
- [04:09] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Mel was ecstatic to start his own webinar. With pajamas on and no shirt, he got 250 people online. About one minute into the webinar, he saw a person in the chatroom say he was naked. He was trying to get away from the camera but he just couldn’t turn it off!
- [05:21] – That webinar led Mel to earn $30K
- [05:37] – People believe one little mistake is terminal
- [06:13] – Entrepreneurs wait for perfection
- [07:09] – “People will never forget how you made them feel”
- [08:09] – Use being human as a strength
- [08:19] – “Be okay with being clunky”
- [09:07] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Mel had partners in a firm back in 1996 that pushed him out. Mel had no cash flow, no clients, a newly purchased house, $315K in debt, and it was also the year he became a single dad. He was weighing if he should get a job or continue on in his entrepreneurial journey. He did the latter, and after 6 months he started to gain traction. One day, his son Jeremy came to him with a drawing — it was Mel in front of 2 computers with a phone on each ear. His son’s brutal honesty made him realize just how he was doing
- [10:45] – As a CPA, Mel knew the mechanics of a business, but he didn’t get the “how we do business” part right
- [11:20] – Every choice we make affects our other life choices
- [12:31] – How you live your days is how you live your life
- [13:24] – Profit is the byproduct of making an impact
- [14:13] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “The opportunities are higher than they’ve ever been, and the barriers have never been lower than they are right now for entrepreneurs”
- [15:05] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “Confidence and societal norms”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Schedule your fears and watch how things change”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Scheduling ‘me time’”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Bonjoro
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Start With Why – “There’s two questions we need to answer in our life and our business: what do we stand for and how are we going to show up?”
- [17:18] – “Start earlier than when you think you’re ready”
- 17:50 – Connect with Mel on his website or on Thoughtpreneur
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!