Nate is an serial entrepreneur and hiring expert. His first business, Portlight, is an Amazon Marketplace seller representing top toy, baby, and home brands. In 2015 he founded FreeeUp with the purpose of providing business owners with an easier solution to accelerating their growth through remote workers.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- [email protected] – Nathan’s personal email
3 Key Points:
- Constant improvement and waking up early are two keys to success.
- Diversify your revenue stream.
- NET revenue is the most important number for your business.
- eVoice: No need for two phones – just get a second line added to your mobile phone! Use promo code FIRE for a 60-day free trial!
- Earth Class Mail: Move your snail mail to the cloud! Visit earthclassmail.com/fire
and enter promo code FIRE to get your first month of service free!
- Magoosh: Top-quality online lesson videos and practice questions that will help you prep for your next test! Visit Magoosh.com and enter promo code FIRE to get 20% off!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:08] – Nathan shares his story
- [02:21] – How PortLight makes money
- [02:38] – How FreeeUp makes money
- [02:15]7 – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Revenue goals and a trip to Myrtle Beach — a vendor ended their contract and he had his identity stolen same week!
- [04:38] – Diversify! — you never know what will happen
- [05:25] – Multiple revenue streams
- [06:00] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Running a million dollar business in college — bookkeeper wanted Nathan to hire someone — lesson learned? Never be understaffed
- [07:40] – Getting into detail about how PortLight works
- [08:00] – Gross Revenue is $5 to $8M per year, net revenue is only a few $100K
- [10:15] – Be transparent with numbers
- [10:27] – NET PROFIT is what MATTERS
- [10:53] – Biggest weakness? — Patience
- [11:24] – Biggest strength? – Managing people and taking calculated risk
- 11:51 – What has Nathan most fired up today? – FreeeUp.com
- [14:24] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – The mindset that you graduate college and get a “real” job
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – Work hard, play hard
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – Wake up early
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Yet Another Mail Merge
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – Delivering Happiness
- [17:21] – If you’re not improving something every day, you’re not doing your job correctly
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!