Reed Harvey is an online entrepreneur, author, musician and host of the business and lifestyle podcast The Reed Harvey Show, where he interviews successful innovators, artists, and entrepreneurs.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
Quora – Reed’s small business resource
How to Win Friends & Influence People – Reed’s Top Business Book
The Reed Harvey Show – Reed’s Podcast
The Freedom Journal – Set & Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
Free Podcast Course – Learn to create, grow, and monetize your own podcast in 15 days!
3 Value Bombs
1) Don’t be afraid to pursue your dreams—it’s you who will live with your decisions.
2) Being curious is what will help you start a conversation with almost anyone.
3) Be kind to the people you meet.
Davinci: Davinci meeting rooms start at just $10 an hour! No wonder entrepreneurs, startups, and Fortune 500 companies use them. Book your space now at DavinciMeeting.com/fire and the first hour is on them!
OK State: The Oklahoma State Master’s in Entrepreneurship program is ideal for someone who wants to increase their career mobility or start their own business! To learn more text the word moreinfo to 77453.
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
[00:52] – Reed’s passion is to interview amazing people and get to know why they’re good at what they do
[01:08] – He loves living a lifestyle of freedom
[01:21] – His area of expertise is in podcasts
[02:04] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: Never tell anyone your plans
[03:17] – Advice can be like mushrooms – eat the wrong one and get poisoned
[04:01] – Be very specific and strategic about who you share your plans with
[04:19] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: When Reed was 20, he moved back from New York City to his small town in Washington. He wanted to be an entrepreneur, but got a job instead at a Starbucks to keep him afloat. He was afraid to pursue his dreams
[05:41] – Once you take control and pursue what it is you want to do, then you’re able to have that mental freedom, and eventually, financial freedom
[07:01] – “You’re the only one who lives with your decisions”
[07:50] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: Reed had an older sister who was amazing at starting conversations with almost anyone. Being the shy one, Reed asked his sister how she was able to do that. His sister told him that he needed to take a personal interest in people and be curious about them – that’s how you learn from them. After Reed applied this, his life seriously changed
[08:53] – “It’s all about just being curious”
[09:32] – Reed remembers himself being a little bit of a jerk in school
[09:45] – He learned to be nice and came up to a student and asked, “How’s it going?”
[10:09] – From that day on, Reed told himself he’d be kind to every person he meets
[10:38] – Once he changed, he was able to connect with people
[15:58] – The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “The fear of losing a paycheck”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Always find a specialty or a niche”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Every time I read an article or I hear an interview with anyone that I think is an amazing person, I want to connect with them”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Quora
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – How to Win Friends & Influence People – “it will teach you how to be a hero or how to be a villain”
[19:19] – “The crisis of today will be the joke tomorrow”
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Funnel On Fire: Learn how to create a funnel that converts!