Sean is the CEO of Rype, one of the world’s leading platforms for language lessons online that connects you with handpicked professional teachers. He’s also a Columnist on Inc. Magazine and frequently contributes for TIME, Fast Company, Observer.com, and many more.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
- Audible – Get a FREE Audiobook & 30 day trial if you’re not currently a member!
- Appear.in and Connectifier Extension – Sean’s small business resources
- The One Thing – Sean’s Top Business Book
- Gift for Fire Nation – Rype for $1!
- Connect with Sean on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- The Freedom Journal– Set and Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
- EOFire – Check out JLD’s 5 FREE courses for you!
3 Key Points:
- Make the best of whatever life throws your way.
- A small shift can be a total game changer for your business.
- Embrace the struggle as opposed to resisting it.
- Health IQ – A life insurance agency that uses science and data to secure lower rates on life insurance for health-conscious people. To see if you qualify, get your free quote today at HealthIQ.com/fire!
- Gusto: Making payroll, benefits, and HR easy for small businesses like us! Sign up today and you’ll get 3 months free once you run your first payroll! Visit Gusto.com/fire today!
Time Stamped Show Notes
(click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.)
- [01:01] – Sean traveled the world for three years, living in different countries for three to four months at a time while running Rype remotely
- 01:16 – He also has a podcast, The Sean Kim Show
- [01:36] – His area of expertise is in content marketing
- [01:59] – Share something we don’t know about your area of expertise that as Entrepreneurs, we probably should: 80% of people read your headlines but only 20% read the content.
- 02:42 – Sean uses AM Institute to automate the process of testing headlines
- [04:02] – Worst Entrepreneurial Moment: Five years ago (Sean’s last year in college), he decided to drop out to start his first business. In just 3 months his investment fell through and the business went down. After that he decided to go to NYC, where he spent all his savings to work with an immigration lawyer for a visa. Unfortunately, Sean got rejected at the border, leaving him with no job, no degree, no savings and no friends
- [06:10] – A month later, he booked a ticket to Argentina and never looked back
- [07:01] – When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
- [07:33] – Entrepreneurial AH-HA Moment: The big breakthrough for Sean was when he experienced the power of packaging. Instead of booking per lesson, Rype allowed students to book on a membership basis, which turned into a subscription-based model that made Rype much more convenient and affordable
- [08:55] – That small shift in packaging led them to success
- [09:20] – They did a lot of testing – which was a huge risk for Rype – before they jumped into their new business model
- [10:00] – Rype grew quickly after the change in their pricing model
- [10:31] – Test by doing
- [11:25] – What is the one thing you are most FIRED up about today? “I use business as a vehicle to solve some of the issues that I find myself”
- [11:53] – Sean describes the broken education system in Korea
- [12:32] – Now, Sean is offering personalized learning experiences
- [13:32]– The Lightning Round
- What was holding you back from becoming an entrepreneur? – “It was just the lack of knowledge”
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? – “Embrace the struggle”
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? – “Journaling and goal-setting”
- Share an internet resource, like Evernote, with Fire Nation – Appear.in and Connectifier Extension
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? – The One Thing – “this is particularly useful for entrepreneurs”
- [19:32] – Look at your to-do lists and look at your annual goals – define what is the one – or three – things that will make everything else easier in your life
- 20:18 – Connect with Sean on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- 20:34 – For additional skills, Sean is giving away a 14-day FREE language lesson! Use promo code FIRE to get a FREE $50 credit on Rype!
1) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
2) Your Big Idea: Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
3) Real Revenue: Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and turn ANY idea into a revenue generating MACHINE!