Today we’re welcoming Shane Snow to Entrepreneurs On Fire! Shane is the co-founder of Contently, and during this audio masterclass he dives deep into what makes up a dream team, what factors affect the success and failure of teams, and what YOU can do to perform better as a member of a team.
Subscribe to EOFire
- Free Training: 3 hours to YOUR BIG IDEA! Follow JLD’s step-by-step system and in just 3 hours you’ll discover YOUR BIG IDEA!
- Contently – Shane’s business
- Dream Teams – Shane’s new book
- Entrepreneurs On Fire Episode 96 & Episode 682 – Shane’s past episodes!
- Shane Snow – Shane’s website
3 Key Points:
- Most teams tend to perform worse than individuals, yet the most important tasks and projects are too big for one person to handle.
- Your fights need to be about ideas – not about individuals. Pick them right!
- The key to success is getting passed differences and putting them aside to work on one big goal.
Audio Masterclass Show Notes
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
- [00:10] – Today’s audio masterclass is about creating Your DREAM TEAM with Shane Snow
- [00:49] – Tune in to Shane’s first 2 interviews on Entrepreneurs On Fire!
- [01:15] – The sad data: most teams perform WORSE THAN most individuals. Listen as Shane explains in detail…
- When humans come together, they either MAKE amazing breakthroughs, OR they DESTROY one another
- Shane lists off possible reasons why people work less productively in groups
- Wanting to fit in and be accepted, which leads to them having a harder time taking risks, being vulnerable, and thinking critically
- [06:14] – The reality: the most important things are TOO BIG for one person to manage
- 06:51 – Shane talks about his book, Dream Teams
- He discusses the difference between teams that excel and teams that don’t. Shane digs deep into his research
- [08:46] – Fitting into groups and coordination are 2 big factors when it comes to why people work less productively in teams
- Differences in people’s personalities also plays a role – not all people think the same
- [11:35] – Choosing your battles/fights – which ones matter and which ones you can just shrug off
- Cognitive Diversity — one of the most powerful ways to help you choose your battles
- Shane talks about Destruction VS Enertia – The Zone of Friction
- The importance of switching sides in an argument
- [17:25] – Picking the right kind of fights: fights NEED to be about ideas and NOT individuals
- [19:42] – John talks about a cool image in Shane’s book
- Check out JLD’s Instagram to see!
- [21:35] – The answer to depressurizing tension with people we’re not like and/or we don’t like
- The #1 thing you can do is get these two people together. Tune in to hear why!
- Shane shares his own personal story of playing chess with a homeless person
- Humor, play, and games all help depressurize tension between people
- [28:57] – Shane helps us understand Agitation: Why working with your worst critics helps you get better
- Not having other points of view can hold you back from achieving success
- Shane talks about his blog post that became controversial… Fire Nation, you have to hear this one!
- Not everyone welcomes criticisms, BUT seeing criticisms as helpful can improve your work, your ideas, and ones self
- 36:05 – Shane shares one of his favorite stories from his book, Dream Teams.
- Shane tells the story of the war in 1812 where the American side was outnumbered 7:1 – yet won over the British army
- Putting differences aside helped America win
- [46:15] – The KEY to SUCCESS is getting past our differences
- [47:33] – Shane reminds us that being successful is not about how strong or smart we are, but about how flexible we are
1) The Freedom Journal: Accomplish your #1 goal in 100 days!
2) The Mastery Journal: Master productivity, discipline and focus in 100 days!
3) Funnel On Fire: Create a funnel that converts!