Today we’re welcoming Shane Snow to Entrepreneurs On Fire! Shane is the co-founder of Contently, and during this audio masterclass he dives deep into what makes up a dream team, what factors affect the success and failure of teams, and what YOU can do to perform better as a member of a team.
Your Big Idea: Successful Entrepreneurs have One Big Idea. Follow JLD’s FREE training & you’ll discover Your Big Idea in less than an hour!
Contently – Shane’s business
Dream Teams – Shane’s new book
Shane Snow – Shane’s website
3 Value Bombs
1) Most teams tend to perform worse than individuals, yet the most important tasks and projects are too big for one person to handle.
2) Your fights need to be about ideas – not about individuals. Pick them right!
3) The key to success is getting passed differences and putting them aside to work on one big goal.
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s audio masterclass is about creating Your DREAM TEAM with Shane Snow
[00:45] – Tune in to Shane’s first 2 interviews on Entrepreneurs On Fire!
[02:02] – The sad data: most teams perform WORSE THAN most individuals. Listen as Shane explains in detail…
- When humans come together, they either MAKE amazing breakthroughs, OR they DESTROY one another
- Shane lists off possible reasons why people work less productively in groups
- Wanting to fit in and be accepted, which leads to them having a harder time taking risks, being vulnerable, and thinking critically
[06:58] – The reality: the most important things are TOO BIG for one person to manage
- He discusses the difference between teams that excel and teams that don’t. Shane digs deep into his research
[08:36] – Fitting into groups and coordination are 2 big factors when it comes to why people work less productively in teams
- Differences in people’s personalities also plays a role – not all people think the same
[11:38] – Choosing your battles/fights – which ones matter and which ones you can just shrug off
- Cognitive Diversity — one of the most powerful ways to help you choose your battles
- Shane talks about Destruction VS Enertia – The Zone of Friction
- The importance of switching sides in an argument
[18:05] – Picking the right kind of fights: fights NEED to be about ideas and NOT individuals
[19:30] – John talks about a cool image in Shane’s book
- Check out JLD’s Instagram to see!
[23:05] – The answer to depressurizing tension with people we’re not like and/or we don’t like
- The #1 thing you can do is get these two people together. Tune in to hear why!
- Shane shares his own personal story of playing chess with a homeless person
- Humor, play, and games all help depressurize tension between people
[30:24] – Shane helps us understand Agitation: Why working with your worst critics helps you get better
- Not having other points of view can hold you back from achieving success
- Shane talks about his blog post that became controversial… Fire Nation, you have to hear this one!
- Not everyone welcomes criticisms, BUT seeing criticisms as helpful can improve your work, your ideas, and ones self
- Shane tells the story of the war in 1812 where the American side was outnumbered 7:1 – yet won over the British army
- Putting differences aside helped America win
[47:53] – The KEY to SUCCESS is getting past our differences
[48:49] – Shane reminds us that being successful is not about how strong or smart we are, but about how flexible we are
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!