Taylor Grieger was a Rescue Swimmer in the Navy, and he sailed the deadliest waters on the planet to try and end Veteran suicides.
HellOrHighSeas – A Navy Vet’s attempt to sail Cape Horn, raise awareness about Veteran suicide, and calm the storms within.
SkeletonCrewSailing – Inspired by Mission 22. Let’s end the silence. Let’s save our Veterans.
3 Value Bombs
1) Do what you want to do in this world and make it happen. There’s always a way to do it.
2) Work with people who actually believe and who are on the same page as you.
3) Get the word out. The goal is to create a bridge between the Veterans going back to the States and the people who don’t understand what the Veterans are going through.
TransUnion ShareAble for Hires: Enables immediate access to employment screening tools that deliver reports in minutes! Start your on-demand screening at Shareable.com/fire and use code ONFIRE50 at checkout to save 50% on your first screening!
Klaviyo: Customers want more from brands, and delivering more means owning the customer experience. Klaviyo calls this “owned marketing” and believes it’s the best path to growth. For more, visit Klaviyo.com/fire!
**Click the time stamp to jump directly to that point in the episode.
Today’s Audio MASTERCLASS: You’re Either All In Or You’re Not with Taylor Grieger
[00:54] – Taylor shares something interesting about himself that most people don’t know.
- He is a master seamstress.
[02:30] – Taylor talks about listening to Entrepreneurs On Fire.
- He used to listen to EOFire while at sea
[03:53] – Taylor talks about early life – before the military.
- He got to a point where he thought he needed to dig himself out of a hole. He joined the military as a stepping stone.
- He was young then and didn’t think about the toll it would take on his mind and body.
[05:56] – Taylor shares how the expedition started and why Cape Horn?
- Taylor talks about the process that a Veteran goes through after getting out of the Navy.
- The body withdraws from the adrenalin. He would experience excessive sweating for no reason at all.
- He realized there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
- He wanted to effectively reach people through Social Media and film
- Taylor always wanted to sail the world, and so he thought of sailing to Cape Horn.
[09:12] – John talks about the experience he had when he got out of the Military.
- There is a lack of support after service in the Military.
- There isn’t a ton of support / help to get Veterans back to a healthy mental state.
[11:34] – Taylor talks about his biggest storm story
- Sailing to Cape Horn: the deadliest waters in the world.
- He was hit by a huge wave and cold weather – him getting through that storm still blows his mind to this day.
- Doing it was worth it.
[15:49] – How did Taylor fund the expedition?
- They just found a way to do it despite their lack of money.
- Do what you want to do in this world and make it happen. There’s always a way to do it.
- Really believing in your cause and knowing what you are doing helps a lot.
[17:38] – What was one thing that you did that helped the funding process of your overall expedition?
- He sent about 600 cold emails.
- They reached out and asked for help from other people.
[19:57] – Taylor talks about the documentary and the process.
- Taylor decided to document the entire expedition and made a raw video. The goal for the documentary is to show the real situation.
- Taylor and his team found a production team that helped them get the film out.
[24:10]– Taylor talks about the overall goal for the documentary.
- Taylor said that the goal is to create a bridge between the Veterans going back to the States and the people who don’t understand what the Veterans are going through.
- To let people know of the problem and present a solution.
- To prevent PTSD versus treating PTSD.
[26:46] – Taylor and John talk about Veteran suicide rate in the states.
- There are an average of 22 Veteran suicide incidents a day.
- Taylor said he worked with Mission 22 and shares a study that was done: 1 Veteran committing suicide can affect 135 people directly.
[29:48] – Taylor’s call to action and parting piece of guidance
- HellOrHighSeas – Check out the trailer and learn more about Taylor’s expedition and the documentary.
- Understand what Veterans are going through, and help fund programs that will help Veterans decompress.
- SkeletonCrewSailing – Inspired by Mission 22. Let’s end the silence. Let’s save our Veterans.
1) The Common Path to Uncommon Success: JLD’s 1st traditionally published book! Over 3000 interviews with the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs compiled into a 17-step roadmap to financial freedom and fulfillment!
2) Free Podcast Course: Learn from JLD how to create and launch your podcast!
3) Podcasters’ Paradise: The #1 podcasting community in the world!